AuthorTopic: {wip}little caveman  (Read 2491 times)

Offline icarusredux

• View Profile

{wip}little caveman

on: April 25, 2008, 09:28:09 pm
little cave.

and a little guy

any suggestions?

thank you for your comments and suggestions.
This is for a game,yes i think i'm gonna have to make the cave bigger ;D.
I tried texturing the dirt some but it didn't look right.
So i made some plants and more cavemen.
but heres an update im gonna work on it some more today.

getting their mabey?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:36:54 pm by icarusredux »

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Re: little caveman

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:26 pm
Yeah, the cave is very small compared to the little guy :P. The canvas of the cave seems pretty poor at the moment.
There is nothing more to say than just: Give them more datail and don't be afraid to use more colors because now it looks like a 5 min. work to me.
Sorry for my english.

yosh64

Re: little caveman

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:12:04 am
hey

Actually I think there is alot more to say ;), well a bit more anyhows, hehe.

Firstly what is the purpose of these pixels? is it for a game? I think it would help us give better advise if these things were known.

But yea, I don't think that caveman is very little at all relative to what I would call "small" for pixel art. Otherwise it seems quite bright and flat, and maybe this is what your trying to acheive, but I will just wait and see how things proceed before I comment further on this.

edit
It would also be nice to hear what you think of it yourself, and what you think can be improved? are you looking for advise on anything specific? also what are your intentions in regards to the colours, shading and lighting?

Also, I advise ya not to pixel on such bright backgrounds, especially white. I think it can affect your perception of colours. But yea, I guess it might be okay if you plan to have these on a bright background in the end, otherwise not so.

another edit
I thought I'd add a few more comments, assuming you are not trying to acheive any sylistic representations of anything, so to with lighting.

Firstly with the rocks defining the entrance to the cave, I think they lack much form. You need to define a distinct direction of the light and also the time of day, after this you need to think about the form of the rock and how the light would strike it.

The same applies to everything else, including the character. If it's for a game I would advise to light the player from above, as this is clear and easy to perceive, and you can mirror animations and such. Hmm, I think it should also be okay to have other things that are part of the map lit from a slightly different direction if wanted.

At the moment looking at the cave the light source seems very confusing, you have the rock in front lit from the top, but the rocks at the entrance are lit from the side and in some cases some strange dark shadows infront. Hmm, there also seems to be a lack of lighting elsewhere, I assume this is either a stylistic choice, or you just haven't got to it yet.

cya
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:40:36 am by yosh64 »