AuthorTopic: [WIP]Dude - Animated, Isometric & Breathtaking.  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP]Dude - Animated, Isometric & Breathtaking.

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 03:56:35 pm
Excellent critique. Thank you for posting, Hatch.

Offline Bohne

• Magic beans?
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:50 pm
Gentlemen,

It's been a while since my last post, a jiffy is longer than expected sometimes. Thank you all for all the input on the swamp scene, especially Hatch's general point about thinking in terms of "whole scenes rather than individual elements" was spot on, I'm still learning (by leaps and bounds some days) and that point really hit home with me. Hopefully I'll be able to post some updates on the swamp tileset later on to show how I've been doing. Thanks everyone for taking the time, alot of what you've said has been really helpful.

Today, however, Isometric (wo)man has a brand new set of clothes + stuff to show off!

Some self-crit: Wind effect on cape? Color me unconvinced. Alot of the movement in it just feels like random noisy motion rather than the natural flow of cloth caught in the wind - I've been searching YouTube (et al) for some good references on cloth in motion but have come up rather empty-handed. On the whole I'm fairly satisifed, the female version (top one, in case you couldn't tell) is a bit of a hack job, but quality has had to give way to quantity in alot of the stuff I've done lately, hopefully, a good crit beating can set me straight. Be cruel.

Cheers!
England expects that every man will do his duty.

- Horatio Nelson, Oct 21st, 1805.

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 03:48:44 pm
hmmm, nobody I know runs with straight arms, like your man in the purple cape (I did know someone once that often wore a purple cape, I never saw him running, so he *might* have ran that way)

on the lady:  I see some weird pixel shifting on her chest, especially the capeless version.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:17:08 pm
I think the purple-caped one is the lady, Ninjascience, judging by the breasts, and lack of them on the other. ;)
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 03:01:36 am
ooops, my bad.  consider my mistake part of your C+C  ;)

she's remarkably perky isn't she?

Offline Bohne

• Magic beans?
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 04:18:28 pm
@ Ninjascience

Your mistake is quite understandable. I'd love to set the male and female versions more apart by making their general body frames somewhat different from one another (i.e, male bigger and taller, female smaller and somewhat shorter), but considering the workload involved in this little project the two models simply have to be able to use alot of the same clothing/equipment etc. Presently, I'm sort of restricted to differentiating them by changing the torso area since I'd like to be able to recycle the pants I've drawn for use by both males and females. I'm using Paintshop Pro, and the file containg the animation frames already has some 160+ layers to it :blind:. Any tips that could improve readability here would be nice (Make those huge breasts even bigger? I'm not too sure that that would be a good idea.)

Today I've been drawing monsters. This is the animation for a dryad/ent/thing walking downwards on an isometric map. I'm somewhat concerned about the arms, and this perspective has been a major challenge for me, so all and any input would be very welcome.

Cheers!
England expects that every man will do his duty.

- Horatio Nelson, Oct 21st, 1805.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 10:38:12 am
Hey, nice treeman! You might want to put some pants on him or get a NUDITY warning since we can all see his woody.  :-[

Since you say the perspective is troubling you, I thought I'd post my idea how to go about it. Ideally, get a 3d program, make a low poly treeman model and rig it, then render it at the different angles. Otherwise:

Note: a circle rotated will not change. A point on the centre (eg. his belly button) will not change position either.

If the foot is occupying the front quarter say on the down-across anim, it should also occupy same quartre on down anim.

Maybe Adarias or someone else familiar with iso perspective will post other rules, I haven't done much on it.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi