AuthorTopic: [CLOSED] $20hr-$40/hr Pixel Artist for 2D Puzzle Platformer Game  (Read 1882 times)

Offline bendixso

• View Profile
[I am no longer taking inquiries for this role. I found another artist while this post was awaiting moderation. My apologies for taking peoples' time.]

I am an independent game developer who has made a 2D puzzle platformer prototype with ~ 35 levels. I have managed to eek by on the pixel art I have created myself, and so far it has mostly been effective. People seem to like the art, even though I myself am not trained as an artist. I'm more of a programmer.

At this point, I'm looking to finish this game, polish it up, and move on to my next project. I have set aside $2000 (at the most) for this effort. So I'm not exactly looking for the most detailed or earth-shattering pixel art. I'm looking for something functional, fun, and colorful to communicate the core ideas of my game.

The ideal person for this job probably has some experience with pixel art and is the sort of person who is also interested in game design and using art to communicate gameplay. Understanding the distinction between foreground/background elements and how that communicates what can be interacted with is arguably the most important thing I'm looking for in an artist.

It will also help if you use a Mac, as the game currently looks best on the Mac, and it will be far easier for us to collaborate when we're on the same computing platform.

Here's why you might like working with me:
1. This game is not vaporware or some lofty highfalutin' abstract design document. It physically exists in our Universe, and according to some, is totally playable.

You can literally play a slow version in your web browser by visiting this link: https://storage.googleapis.com/tedbendixsonwebsite/platformer/platformer.html

If you send me your email address, I can send you a Mac build that looks much better.

2. I view this project as a learning experience, and I hope to help you learn some valuable skills as well.

I know this isn't my greatest game idea, and I know the next project will be a better puzzle game. But I want to finish what I've started and have something complete under my belt. I've learned a ton about game design by making this game, and I hope you can grow and improve your art by working with me.

What to do if you are interested in this project:
Send me an email at tedbendixson@me.com, or reply to this thread.

I have about thirty bullet points of feedback I've received from various testers on the thinky puzzle games and Handmade Discord servers. I want to use the budget to address the points various playtesters have made, and if there's much left over, we can move onto somewhat more ambitious ideas.

Thank you for your time,
-Ted

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 01:48:24 pm by bendixso »