AuthorTopic: [G.D] What are you musical tastes and favourite bands?  (Read 54088 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [G.D] What are you musical tastes and favourite bands?

Reply #90 on: July 27, 2008, 09:38:18 pm
metal is the anime of music

is that supposed to make any sense?  ???
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #91 on: July 27, 2008, 09:58:05 pm
metal is the anime of music

is that supposed to make any sense?  ???
you should be able to glean the subtle nuances of my post
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #92 on: July 27, 2008, 10:25:20 pm
Yes Ptoing, it's so obvious. I thought you smarter then that.

( ???)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #93 on: July 27, 2008, 10:36:49 pm
Whatever you say mister mister.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 12:24:28 pm
Recently started listening to Tool. Me like.

Yes.

My top 5 (in no particular order)

Tool
A Perfect Circle (check out the album "Thirteenth Step")
Modest Mouse
The Police
R.E.M.

as you can see I do not listen to any particular genre, but anything that sounds good I will listen to. :D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 03:14:26 pm
I guess I'll list mine, too, since I see these absent from the list (most of 'em, at least.)
Marvin Gaye -Beautiful Song. 'nuff said.
Barry White -This is, in my honest opinion, the best song ever recorded.
The Isley Brothers -I can't imagine how many of us were conceived to this song, but I guarantee my children will be.
Teddy Pendergrass -I played this at work once over the speaker system, since I always make mixes of great soul music to play at the restaurant I'm manager at, and I was shocked at the lyrics (I had just got the album that day) but I enjoyed it. Surprisingly, nobody asked me to turn it off.

Michael Jackson -If you don't like the "Thriller" album, you must be deaf. Actually, even deaf people could enjoy Michael Jackson, so you must just not like good music.

GZA -NSFW. The Wu-Tang only managed to record one decent album (36 Chambers), and to be honest, I prefer GZA's album "Liquid Swords." The whole album is solid, and eventually led me to see the movie "Shogun Assassin." See that movie. See it.
Kool Keith -NSFW, but I recommend listening to this album at some point, if not for the great rapping, simply for the fact that Kool Keith is the most outrageous rapper ever. If you don't believe me, check out the lyrics: Once again, NSFW
Clipse -Also NSFW. I don't listen to mainstream rap that much, but I couldn't pass up Clipse. They didn't achieve much commercial success, but I think they're the best rap group ever. You'd think that hearing songs about selling cocaine, wearing cool shoes, and drinking kool-aid would get old, but they dont.
Lil Wayne -NSFW. I think that if Lil Wayne sat in a recording booth for a year, and recorded twenty songs every day, maybe 10 of them in total would be decent. Lil Wayne is really the only mainstream rapper that I listen to. If you want to listen to Lil Wayne, I only reccomend getting The Drought 3 (a mixtape, free online) and The Carter III (His newest album, surprisingly decent. Check out "A Millie" if you have subs.)
A Tribe Called Quest -NSFW. Awesome album, awesome song. I still haven't figured out why Q-tip decided to just repeat his first verse instead of making a second one, but whatever. Still a great song, and a great message.

The Presidents of the United States of America -I'm sure you've all heard this song. This whole album (self-titled) is amazing, seriously. If you like this song, I recommend getting the entire album, it's just as good.
Primus -Oh jeez, Primus. This is one of my favorite songs by them. In middle school, I bought all of their albums, and I love every one. As far as I remember this is SFW, but if you don't wanna risk it, I'd wait, because I'm not 100% on that. Oh, and there will never be a better bassist than Les Claypool.

El Guincho -I'm not a big fan of any Indie music, but El Guincho is awesome. My friend, who likes Animal Collective, and Sonic Youth, and basically anyone who performed at the Pitchfork Music Festival, described El Guinch is the spanish Animal Collective. I think this is just one guy who has random Latin percussion instruments and a sampler, and manages to make albums. It's relaxing to listen to.

That's about all I can think of. I'll edit accordingly, but whatever.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #96 on: July 28, 2008, 03:17:52 pm
I just finished listening to Clawjob's Space Crackers. It was wonderful. :) I recommend it to everyone who loves a good rock opera. And everyone who likes the guttural chanting of flesh devouring aliens backed up by high velocity metal~  :hehe:

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #97 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:41 pm
I was recently exposed to Strapping young lad and various devin townsend solo projects.
I have to say, the skulleted crusader is my personal hero for life.

This, in particular stood way the hell out in the awesomeness department.

go buy this fucking album. right now. I really cannot stress how awesome it is.

"You have not CONVINCED mighty ziltoid! i am SO omniscient...that i there were TWO omniscienes, i would be BOTH."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1Jk98wYE8

Anyone else think mr townsend looks a bit like benjamin franklin?

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #98 on: July 28, 2008, 08:16:38 pm
I thought Ziltoid was alright but I haven't really liked Devin Townsend since I was 15..
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #99 on: July 28, 2008, 11:40:40 pm
And how old are you now mister mister?