AuthorTopic: (WIP) Little Red Riding hood  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Kren

• View Profile

(WIP) Little Red Riding hood

on: September 16, 2008, 10:15:23 pm
Well after a long time without posting anything here I decided to enter the pixeljoint weekly challenge with this:

I am having some problems, but I know you can help me :D, I will be following any advice, please tell me what you think of the piece so far and how I can improve it. :d

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Re: (WIP) Little Red Riding hood

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:05 am
update:

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:30:40 am
looking good.
hard palette.
this version looks like daylight is coming through the trees.
the lighting of the first one made more sense for wolfy to have a lamp.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 04:07:03 am
hmm indeed you are right, I hope this new version makes the forest darker:

I also remade the bush.

Edit: I will make the grass darker so the night theme forest suits even more. not too dark.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:18:21 am
okay update:

now it is darker. I am having some problems adding texture to the grass and dirt :/

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:04:37 am
I think the reason you're stuck now is in part due to your workflow. It seems to me that you're starting on the detailing and rendering stages before you have everything all planned out, you should work on the whole piece at once instead of finishing one area before the next. It's a lot easier said than done though. Helpful though because you can see if something works before you go and spend too much time with it, and you get an overview of the piece without, uhh, detail tunnel vision.

Another thing I find is that reds are the most cliquey color, it's hard to hue shift from a vibrant red to another color without it looking unnatural (as it does in this case, I think). You might have to add a dark red in there to make it work, as much as I hate prescribing adding colors for the solutions to these kind of things.

Might want to check out some references for the wolf's head. You also may want to try drawing/picturing the wolf's body behind the bush, to make sure everything's in line back there. Because in it's current state it looks like his arm is the length of his entire body, and his body's very very small, etc.

That's what I got for now, may have more thoughts when I'm less tired. :durr:

EDIT: I know what I forgot to say, is that the purple shadows really give this an artificial kind of feel, high sat blue does not help either.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:08:44 am by Cow »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 08:48:10 pm
I must admit that I should have added more attention to the general aspect of the piece, I need to change the little red and the wolf one is in wrong perspective acording to a friend hmm, but I can't really change the colours like adding different reads or changing the blue since the restriction for the challenge is to use those 8 crappy colours something really hard.. I have always seen the wolf wrong, apart from what you said about the arm I also need to put him some pixels up, he looks like a deform wolf right now..

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 05:43:31 am
but I can't really change the colours like adding different reads or changing the blue since the restriction for the challenge is to use those 8 crappy colours something really hard
Oh, okay. It is a pretty ridiculous palette, so best of luck.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 01:22:06 am
thanks for the luck Cow :D, well here is another update:

EDIT:
finally completed it:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/35832.htm
thanks alot to everyone who helped.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:14:03 pm by Kren »