AuthorTopic: Guardian  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

Guardian

on: April 15, 2008, 01:41:48 pm
Hi everyone  :)
I'm new on this forum and my name is Beelketh.

I'm looking for advice for this sprite, since I can't see how to improve it :

I used this drawing of mine as reference : there and Fil_Razorback was cool enough to correct the mask and belt for me.

Thank you very much :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:16:17 pm by Beelketh »

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Re: Guardian

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:56:38 pm
first of all, that's a very cool concept piece!  I love the mask and head especially

it's not translating well to pixels though.  I imagine that some of that has to do with the creature itself rather than your pixeling skills, which seem pretty good.

Without looking at the reference piece I had no idea what was going on besides the chest and arms.  The mask looked like a white beard that got flipped up into it's face, and I had no idea what was
going on with the legs.  The shading on the lower arms doesn't seem to match what the arm shape should be.

EDIT: you may want to modify your webserver settings if you don't want folks poking around the rest of your files  ;)
which I did  :D  I think one of the other poses you did might translate better to a standalone pixel piece  ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:01:01 pm by ninjascience »

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:24:19 pm
Thanks  :)

I tried a new version on the same line with another light orientation in order to make the chest and arms more readable.

I'm not sure that is much better and I have a problem with the lines (don't know if I must insist on them or if I must erase them  :mean:).
Edits are welcome  ;D

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:33:07 pm
Welcome to pixelation :)

Great lineart. Don't think its translating well yet. I suggest using outlines more. Your first one was shaded better. Maybe it had too many highlights (i used to put in shi*tloads myself but you should save them to draw attention and for metal, shiney things).

Mucked around with the pallete a bit. The other guys will know more about this. Basically made shadows more saturated for skin. Also, tried to share colors (like mask is now a bit green). Physics reason: light reflected from green skin will hit mask so it will get the green tint. Maybe there is another reason for doing this also.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi