AuthorTopic: Skeletroids dump - Update: You've got friends!  (Read 57142 times)

Offline bluknight

• View Profile

Re: Skeletroids dump

Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 01:19:05 pm
Are you doing the programming / would you like some help?
It looks like this could have the potential to be lots of fun and I need a project to work on.

I love that boss. It looks like it has a ton of personality.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 07:44:09 pm
I'm very intrested in seeing how you go about doing the attack animations for this guy.  ;D

The boss I am keen on, I like his litte stubby arms.
I noticed the nose was strange, thought I'd do an edit if you don't mind.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 10:54:21 pm
I think everyone has been reading the skull wrong.  I think the big hole was supposed to be an eye socket, but its a skull so it has robotic eyes.

you can see the nostrils at the front of the skull, and you can see out the other side of the big hold therefore it must be the two eye sockets.

am i right ben??

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:24 am
This page shows a t-rex skull along with the placement of skin & etc. I guess I agree that the shape between the eyes and nose is a bit too simple and could look better if it were more accurate, but it's simply a nitpick from me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:24:28 am by shaheen. »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 12:16:07 am
Fenron is correct. Admittedly I didn't reference a photo when making the actual sprite (although I did in the sketching phase) but yeah, that great big hole in the middle of his face is totally supposed to be there. Now I see some perspective issues with it, but the big black hole is NOT his eye.

I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 04:38:14 am
When I first looked at the Dino boss the hole reminded me of images of dino skulls like the one that Ben posted, so I didnt really take issue with it...but now that everyone mentioned it I think we should see the upper jaw of the opposite side from where we are, and I think ben kinda missed that. Maybe you have too static a refference for the skull here, perhaps you should scout youtube for a few clips from that Ben Stiller movie where a Dino skeleton comes to life..."Night at the Museum"

I also didnt take note of the anacronic little bony hands on his chest. you might want to change the way you shaded them so as to bring them forward....perhaps simply by darkening the metal that is surrounding them
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:41:50 am by Conceit »

Offline [High Templar] Tassadar

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 08:20:38 pm
in my opinion (looking at Ben's boss) it looked like (until i found out otherwise) that the dinosaur was wearing a monocle  ;D, sounds a bit odd yes, but i really think so. and after later thinking i thought that i might actually be a little bit cool to have the massive dino skeleton wearing a monocle (dunno how much work it would take but i don't imagine too long, the shape is there already and the shading is already there, recouloring is all i can see would be in store if you actually followed down this road)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 03:09:08 am
Ben your sword reminds me more of the "Chain Sawd" from Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe then any other sword mentioned in this thread.

hope pso-world doesn't get pissed I am linked their pics

Ps. Have you ever thought of sharing your knowledge of how you get such smooth animations?  I've heard that you draw keyframes and then tween, but with a run cycle isn't it all keyframes?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 04:35:32 am
Just to answer Mike's question

This image should be rather self explanatory I think. That is the easiest way to break down a walk/runcycle imo.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 09:02:51 am
Great post ptoing but I think it could be done even better.

Frames 2 and 6 are the extremes and also the contact points. Draw these frames first and you get a solid start for the rest of the animation.
The arms are more extreme in frames 1 and 5 so those are better but I would like a the extremes to record the exact moment of the heelstrike where the legs are spread apart the most.

The passing point should look something like a mix between frames 3 and 4 (7-8 respectively) where the stepping leg is just passing, not after or before the standing leg.

Frames 1 and 5 looks more like inbetweens where the character is hanging in mid air between to other more easily drawn frames.

This being said the inbetweens would look something like frames 1,4,5 and 8 but with considerations of the changes I've suggested above.

EDIT:
 fixed spelling on heelstrike
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:46:56 pm by robotacon »