AuthorTopic: [WIP] what could I do to improve this?  (Read 2750 times)

Offline sam-uk

• lol, internet.
    • View Profile

[WIP] what could I do to improve this?

on: April 13, 2008, 08:07:47 am

I'm someone who beleives there's always room for improvement. I'm just stumped as to how I'm to add a further sense of realism to the face.  ???

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] what could I do to improve this?

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:24:55 pm
Well, for starters, you could try more dynamic shading. Right now, you have quite a few dark tones, one mid tone, and no highlights on the face. The contrast between the mid and dark tones is a little high as well. I have done a quick edit to better show my point, I added a few high lights, and used the color from the eyes as another highlight. I also tried to incorporate more shading into the piece.. The gender is slightly unclear, so I assumed it was a male with long hair.. :-[

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] what could I do to improve this?

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:09:31 am
Your main concern is anatomy.  She's got T-rex arms.  If you're meant to see less do to perspective, then give it perspective, don't just shorten it.  She also seems to have a hunchback The face seem good relative to the rest.  As Malor said, a highlight and a midtone would help, which would mean you need a lightsource, which you lack at the moment.  her features are just stuck on at the moment, like Mr. Potato Head, show some of the muscle structure acting on her expression.  And you've got a Schultz nose, show shape and structure, as in Malor's edit.