AuthorTopic: [WIP]Tileset + Map Editor  (Read 9321 times)

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Tileset + Map Editor

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 05:57:15 pm
that's understandable. honestly i just try my hand at designing tilesets and stuff, but i don't really know of a program that lets me do the same thing yours does.
for some reason, for me the fullscreen mode doesnt' work right. like, my mouse is in a strange position the whole time. shrug.
anyway, good work on the tiles by the way.
they destroy the ones i worked on a while back.

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 08:14:21 pm
infinity+1 if you really want a windowed version, and you think it may come in handy, I will consider it. I tried to make it windowed for debugging but had some (small) problems and I gave up because I didn't really needed it. Let's see what I can do tommorow.

Sorry for making a split thread, but as long as I'm working on the tile it's okay to talk about the tools right? By the way, if there's no further critique, I wiil take it as finished (the tileset) and let the topic to be moved if it becomes necessary.
Sorry for my english.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 11:15:37 pm
I'm also working on a game with a similar level editor (except supports much larger stuff). And it's great to see such awesome inspiration. I'll show my graphics a bit later. Still have to work on creating something different than just simple ground with snow/grass.
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 11:29:26 pm
Dunno if this is the same thing as your program but there is a program called TileStudio, that lets you design tiles and design a map with them. I usually just use photoshop but I tried it and it isn't bad.

http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

yosh64

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:58:22 am
hey

I just wanted to mention that I once also made a 2d tile map editor somewhat like yours, and I never made much use of it. I find it much easier to make tile based maps by just using ya pixel prog of choice and having a grid showing the boundaries of each tile. The problem I found with such map editors is that you must draw your tiles and then split them and import them into your map editor and this is really slow and I think it makes it hard to pixel nice tiles :\.

Anyhows recently I made a prog that converts a pixel image of a map into my own map format, it just identifies all the unique tiles and builds a map. I just thought I'd mention this incase you invest more time into your map editor and find it's not so useful after all :\.

Hmm, I saw a pixel tutorial by Helm using promotion which I think somehow combined the ability to pixel freely and produce tiles at the same time. I thought this was pretty neat, and was thinking that it might be cool to beable to select an area of tiles and launch whatever pixel prog of choice to freely edit the pixels and when done have it convert them back into tiles and into the map.

But yea, for starters I think it's best to make ya maps directly in ya pixel prog of choice, and I guess once you got most of a map and tiles done you could then convert to a map and continue on in ya mapper prog.

Hmm, I don't have to much to say about ya pixels yet. But yea, I will just wait to see the composition of your map with other parts of the map, and the background, sprites and characters and such.

cya
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:02:54 am by yosh64 »

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 11:27:31 am
can you port it to linux?
or give us a link to da source code to recompile it?

i've also done a tile editor, but it's done in qbasic and i was doing it to c++.
it's name, hextiler.

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:31:07 pm
The editor currently does more than previously and is also more messy :P. I would have to go back, and cut/modify some code if I wanted to provide source suitable for public use. The last public version is the one linked here, sorry.
Sorry for my english.

Offline xestro

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 12:21:27 am
just  downloaded the editor
but it doesn't work...

i chose all the options and click start, get a black screen, wait a few seconds, an error has occurred this program must close

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 08:56:01 am
ok tnx then, i'll have to recode mine :P

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 06:08:56 pm
Alright, Im disabling this at the moment because it's causing more problems than I've expected. Sorry guys. Maybe someday I'll post stable and more user friendly edition.
Sorry for my english.