AuthorTopic: Team Fortress 2 sprites  (Read 6367 times)

Offline ZeroByte

• ChemiKhazi
    • View Profile

Re: Team Fortress 2 sprites

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 10:09:03 pm
Welcome back to pixel art?  The TF2 character designs are some of the best to hit games recently.  Here comes the harsh crits!

These could use a LOT of work.  The pose for the engie and the scout feel pretty authentic, but the other 3 are just odd.  I'm not sure why you chose to render most of them without a weapon?  They are never shown this way in-game.  The engineer, soldier, and demoman all have very similar silhouettes here, though they differ radically in TF2.  You've used a fairly detailed shading style with a lot of outlines, which is a pretty odd choice given how smooth and clean the source material is.  The faces are all very hard to read to me.  The soldier's helmet is oddly shaped.  Our forum has a click-zoom option so there is no need to post a 2x version in the future.  Ditto the wrench and leaning back concerns from other posters.

I haven't actually played TF2, so this is kinda my way of pining for it. Uhm, the weapons I was planning on adding afterwards the rationale being that I want to focus on the palette for the characters first, and then having the freedom of using a separate colour palette for the weapons. I think its a bit of a game oriented approach, which I like, Also explains the poses for the HMG and the Demo, I tried posing them as if they were already holding their primary weapons but I do understand the crits about the posing. I'll rework the pose/silhouette.

As for the art style, I'm not too familiar with it, not having played it yet and when I started the sprites the only reference I had at hand was the meet the scout video. I'll be trying for a cleaner style when I find the time to work on the sprites, been working on these at the office and just got piled on with work this week. Thanks for all the crits.

Incidentally, yes I know about the zoomer script, I implemented the original way back when the forums were still blue. The new script has better programming but I do wish it had the option of starting at a zoom level like the old one did. Oh, also would be nice to tie the script to the onDomLoaded instead of body.onLoad but, thats a bit off topic.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Team Fortress 2 sprites

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 03:23:00 pm
Incidentally, yes I know about the zoomer script, I implemented the original way back when the forums were still blue. The new script has better programming but I do wish it had the option of starting at a zoom level like the old one did. Oh, also would be nice to tie the script to the onDomLoaded instead of body.onLoad but, thats a bit off topic.

Firefox with Image Zoom extension is the way to go for anyone serious about COMPULSIVELY ZOOMING IN ON ANY PIXEL ART THEY FIND ON THE INTERNET