AuthorTopic: Where to learn Pixel Art?  (Read 8667 times)

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Re: Where to learn Pixel Art?

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 10:23:09 am
I'm working in a mobile game studio and I can live enough with...

so yes, mobile phones provides pixel art job (also there are a lot of craps...)

@schifers : the only tip that I can give you for your start on pixel art is this place !
try to draw many things : objects, characters, backgrounds,...
Post your stuffs here, and you will receive critics and comments to help you to improve.

you will see a lot of improvements in the future when you will check your first works :)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:10:20 pm
Bullshit? That's funny. How many of the famous people on Pixelation have actually made it into the industry and became recognized?
mind that those who actually *made* it into industry, have never focused only on crafting pixel arts, leaving it as a branch of their ample artistic workmanship.

The market for 2-D has been dying since the mid-90s, and it's on its last leg now.
I'd dispute. 2D graphics has had its renewal since e.g. GameBoy Adv. and the like appeared on the market IMO, and when the cellphone business became directed at gaming mainly. it's early 2000s to mid-2000s AFAIR and still, it seems there are many prosperous companies hiring new 2D artists.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:50:43 pm
Yeah, there are PLENTY of people who make a living with pixel art who don't post here (or not much at all), although most that I knew weren't exclusively working with pixels. I used to make a living exclusively with pixel art but have since moved on.
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:22:49 pm
Skurwy is right, the mobile stuff and specially Nintendo DS just screams for pixel art work.. Some games just work best in 2d, like Castlevania series, Dragon quest (except 8 ), Freaking Pokemon, Contra..etc.

Speaking of Contra 4, did you know that some of the members here have worked on this game?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/review/941461.html 
Let's attack aggressively.  :y:

2d Ain't gonna die. :)

And where to learn pixel art? this is the place. It's full of treasure and it's free.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 09:09:16 pm
I don't believe in natural born talent*, and the advantage of starting at a young age is very strong evidence of the distances that practice can take you.

*In my opinion : Any person is an accumulation of their experiences and history to that date. Nothing comes from nowhere, so "natural born talent" could be bred into your bloodline or pop up as a dormant gene of sorts, but it doesn't just come out of nowhere.

And even if you don't have anything resembling an ancestry laden in art (I don't, though I'm hardly a good example) it is VERY possible to learn how to bandy swords with the best of artists, it's just going to take a lot of work.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:01 am
I can give you a list of over 15 good pixel artists on these forums that make their living off pixel art.  Me included.  that just cracked me up

as for the pixel industry dying - people have been saying that ever since the n64 and playstation.  Each time it is claimed, the pixel art industry doesn't die, but rather it moves... here is a historical progression thus far for pixel art

Arcade/cabinets, major consoles, handheld consoles, mobile/cell phone market, and we're just beginning to see the shift into the toy industry.

where will pixelart go after toys?  who knows.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:55:40 am by Indigo »

Offline schifers

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 01:49:39 pm
In my opinion, pixel art is a wonderful slice in the 2d art. I don't think it will die any day. If you don't have games to build, (I think there will always have), you can work with animation, you can work with web site design.

I remember that I read in one place that some guy started to draw and paint around his 30 years (just like me now) and today he has like 40 years and after 10 years drawing he can make pretty nice paintings in oil.

I think that I can still learn it. Maybe, when you are younger, your brain is more receptive to new skills, but I think, like some people said here, you can still learn it with patience and a lot of practice.

Well,

Like I said. I will keep trying and maybe someday I will post something here that you will like.

Thanks for all the answers and opinions.

Bruno.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 02:57:06 pm by schifers »