AuthorTopic: Nintendo DS Developer Tools?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Nintendo DS Developer Tools?

on: May 21, 2008, 03:38:21 am
Well I'm tired of just making my pixels for nothing. If anyone can give me information about developer tools, (something to make and emulate game in, possibly a script language, as well as some sort of card and something to transfer the data from PC (Windows Xp Home Premium, until I get my laptop)) and I would be greatly obliged. My take on the game is that Walking around, as well as some minigames, will be pixel art, and the battles will be low-poly 3D.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Nintendo DS Developer Tools?

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:05:12 am
Try googling for "DS Homebrew."  There is a whole enormous community dedicated to this sort of thing!

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:14:16 am
How much would everything I need cost?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:41:58 pm
the best known toolkit for the DS is "devkitpro". You can get it at http://www.devkitpro.org/. It is accompanied by small tutorials, including the famous NeHe lessons on OpenGL. For rapid game prototyping, minigames and such, you'll probably prefer installing the PALib over that, unless you  used to code on an Amiga or something alike back in the 90's.

The typical hardware setup will cost you ~60€, i'd say (it'll mostly depend on whether you have SD card already or not).