AuthorTopic: Game Mockup  (Read 5134 times)

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Game Mockup

on: April 10, 2008, 03:09:16 pm
I made a small mockup this morning and I'd like to know how you guys like it.   ;D

old<<

new>>

Oh and any improvement in contrast?  :blind:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:34:37 pm by LMR »

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Re: Game Mockup

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:20:22 pm
i like it!  and I don't think it needs more contrast, it gives it a unique feel.  I don't have any issues picking out the models from the background.

Is one of those guys the player and the other a baddie?

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:17 pm
i like it!  and I don't think it needs more contrast, it gives it a unique feel.  I don't have any issues picking out the models from the background.

Is one of those guys the player and the other a baddie?
It's great to hear that !  ;D

Player is the one with 2 eyes. ;)

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:53:33 pm
I think it looks really cool, especially in 2x or 4x. It gives me lots of inspiration  :y: :lol:

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:12 pm
This is really neat. Your use of contrast quite something; you kept the sprites in focus while keeping lots of contrast in the background.
The reason this works, I think, is that while the tiles do have quite a lot of contrast, the sprites use the highlight from the tiles as their main body color;
thus making them pop out more than the tiles. The far wall also helps with the readability in that it uses the body color of the tiles as its highlight color,
and in so doing pushing it far into the realm of background, where the sprites are most prominent.

The only nitpick I have, is that the door behind the player looks a little too complex in such a geometric world,
and it's a little bit too small for the player.

All in all, good job. :)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:43:07 pm
It's so damn cute! :P I love it.

All I'd be worried about is proper distinction between player and baddie.
And also, that boxy foreground might eventually get a bit repetitive and boring.

But really, cool!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:31:44 pm
I agree with Rydin about distinction between goodie and baddie. You can do what they did with Sub-Zero and Scorption or a better example, Ryu and Ken. Switch where the colors aregive the baddies red  helmets and make the rest of them black.

Offline LMR

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:32:28 pm
I think it looks really cool, especially in 2x or 4x. It gives me lots of inspiration  :y: :lol:
Yeah, if it was real game I'd use 4x zoom( or whatever it's called in english ). Oh and I'm glad to hear it gave you inspiration.  ;D

This is really neat. Your use of contrast quite something; you kept the sprites in focus while keeping lots of contrast in the background.
The reason this works, I think, is that while the tiles do have quite a lot of contrast, the sprites use the highlight from the tiles as their main body color;
thus making them pop out more than the tiles. The far wall also helps with the readability in that it uses the body color of the tiles as its highlight color,
and in so doing pushing it far into the realm of background, where the sprites are most prominent.

The only nitpick I have, is that the door behind the player looks a little too complex in such a geometric world,
and it's a little bit too small for the player.

All in all, good job. :)
The door sure doesn't really match with the rest of the tiles.
I tried to fix the door without giving it more height, not sure if it's any better. I'm trying to keep all tiles 16x16 size.  :)

Also put shadows under platforms and ceiling, not sure if they fits in either.  :blind:

It's so damn cute! :P I love it.

All I'd be worried about is proper distinction between player and baddie.
And also, that boxy foreground might eventually get a bit repetitive and boring.

But really, cool!
In my plannings the enemy was going to be somekind of spacemutant thingy, but I got lazy and just palette swapped the playable character.  :-[ Might fix that later tho.
I did the foregorund in the end and I really didn't plan it any further than that, also this mockup is only about that one room, other rooms could have different foregorund, but only if I ever do other rooms. :P

And great that you liked it.  :y:

I agree with Rydin about distinction between goodie and baddie. You can do what they did with Sub-Zero and Scorption or a better example, Ryu and Ken. Switch where the colors aregive the baddies red  helmets and make the rest of them black.
That could also work if I'm not in mood changing that enemy sprite.  :)

Meh hope I didn't typo too much, I should have replied tomorrow since I'm kinda tired atm. Also I'll use less emoticons next time.  ;D

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:43:33 pm
Oh, I love this, and I would love to see some spacemutants in there. :D My only crit would be that the border tiles look a bit too busy with such contrasting colors, so maybe brighten the darkest shade a bit? It also helps bring them out a bit more.