AuthorTopic: mini pixel font  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

mini pixel font

on: April 09, 2008, 05:36:56 am

A super mini 6x8 fixed width pixel font. 5 colors + background. Does it work?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:17:24 pm by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Re: mini pixel font

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:57:04 am
The gray around the letters is really hurting the font, like big time. Totally unnecessary on this small a scale.

Otherwise, there's nothing else really interesting about it, but it works. Once you fix that issue it should be better.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:23:35 am
The underlying construction of the letters is nice and clean, but it all gets lost in the AA. :(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:26:37 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:53:15 am
I can't say that's a SUPER mini pixel font, considering it's 6 x 8.

Here's some examples of small pixelled type.

The bottom-most face is 6 x 8 pixels also, although X, Y, 4, and a few other characters are 7 x 8 (probably something I should fix :-\). On the top, you have a face that's 5 x 6, then one that's 5 x 5, and finally one that's 4 x 4, which is about the smallest you'd want to set type in for the screen, I think.

For most characters, I'd say yours LOOKS like 4 x 5, because the outline is so close to the background color. BUT it's definitely not fixed width. Many are 7 x 8. Probably something you should've mentioned, since you did say it's fixed width. :huh:

Anyways, I agree with AlienQuark about the gray outline; it's definitely not needed, and it will be much sharper without it for sure. Although, probably you don't need to get rid of it, just make it a color that stands out better. ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:26:53 am by brianskywalker »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:32:49 am
Fuck, I lost my reply D:!
Ugh, I'm grumpy now, so sorry if I act like a dick or anything is hard to follow.

Anyway, I disagree with the other peeps on the grey outline, I think it accomplishes what I can only assume Lazycow is trying to do, which is give it a smooth plasticy look. There are parts where it could be removed for increased clarity, though (see below)!

Also, the AA, I really don't think it's that bad :P EXCEPT on the smaller areas, where you could really use it to bring out the details of the similar looking letters (right now it's just obscuring things), particularly on a e g o q, which brings me to my edit!

It switches 'tween mine and yours, mine is the notched one. I know it fucks up the 'rules' (one highlight, gradient from top left) you've made so far, but they're limiting you here. :crazy:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:19:25 am
The lower case "e" is illegible and can easily be confused for an "a" or even an "o".

As for the grey outlines--any brighter and the letters begin to look bubbly; any darker and the outlines are pretty meaningless--so I think you did good with them.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:15:14 pm

Thanks for the big feedback, especially for the edit! Here is the update. The border is somewhat old fashioned, but the font is intended to be used with "dirty" background (see 2nd picture), so I thought a border would be of use. So, yes... somehow it is a 4x6 pixel font with border. You got me, the "M" and "W" are cheating here, because I did not manage to squeese them in the 4x6 raster. Especially the lower case characters. I have included my squeesing attempts here, but better do not look at them  :P

font in action (NPA warning)  :o
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 05:22:32 pm
'a' doesn't read much different from the o. I think you need to add some focus on the uhh... appendage (I was so tempted to call it "letter-dick thing").
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)