AuthorTopic: Overly exadurated broad swordsmen (Attack animation updated)  (Read 41945 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Overly exadurated broad swordsmen (Attack animation updated)

Reply #50 on: April 10, 2008, 08:21:08 pm
Maybe this is just me but if there was going to be a motion blur on the sword shouldn't the whole thing kind of lose some detail due to the blur? I think B.O.B's edit really helped you with the design of the character, can't wait to see him in action. Also you might want to just block out the colors for you animation. No point in doing all that fine pixel pushin' when it doesn't fit into the animation.

yosh64

Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 12:48:12 am
hey

I really like the illusion of power/strength and weight given in Corsair edit, and the look of The B.O.B.'s edit. I also like what has been done in tehwexxl0rz's edit.

Anyhows incase you decide to have a walking animation alike The B.O.B. has done I wanted to point out that I don't think a warrior would ever cross their legs alike this, as when you do you can be much more easily pushed over.

BTW, I still think the handle needs to be longer/larger :P, I mean imagine trying to lift a sledge hammer or those big heavy crowbars (long with pointy end for digging or something) with such a small handle.

Umm, I can't think of anything more atm, but yea I advise ya look into and apply what can be learnt from these edits :).

cyas
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:01:48 am by yosh64 »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 01:41:55 am
I actually made a to scale model of this sword at work today using cardboard and hard plastic to surround the cardboard.
It's light as fuck and the air kind of takes it, but I think it's going to be very helpful for me.
Once I go in tomorrow on my day off cause I left it there...

I'm going to do a bunch of attacks and take frames of each one so I can see exactly what it is I'm doing wrong.

There has been a lot of critique and edits all which have been given time into.
I will be re-reading all of your nit picks while I re-do the animation, I have no doubt all of this information will help plenty since it's been working so far.
I'd also like to mention that up to this point I had been doing everything in MSPaint->Convert to gif using IAZA.com->Toss the files into Unfreeze.
So I'm sorry that a lot of your critique had been passed by since I had been doing it such a hard way.
Finally got Graphics Gale working again so animating should go smoother.

I'd like to thank you for all the input and it motivates me to do better. :D

Offline Sardone

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 08:51:34 pm

:crazy:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:53:57 pm by Sardone »

Offline Break

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: April 12, 2008, 04:45:14 am
I can fix this

win

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #55 on: April 12, 2008, 04:57:40 am
Needs muzzle flair if you're going to go that direction.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: April 12, 2008, 06:05:29 pm
All of these swords still look very light. This being that the source of power doesn't exist.

by source of power I mean his legs; there is no possible way his legs could be contributing to the power of the swing, because right now all they do, in all of the edits, are just balance. When, in reality, you would use your quadriceps to push your body forward to swing in the same arc as the sword; you'd be using the same method of force you would when jumping forward. The leg that is not pushing you forward is following the flow of the body, but at the end of the swing it catches the otherwise imminent fall.

I'd make my own edit, but I can't open the any of the files because ggale says that the color table is empty. Bleh I'm too lazy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:59:25 pm by Kcilc »

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: April 13, 2008, 03:07:39 am
Save the animation and then batch convert (File - batch conversion - input the colourtableless .gif - output a .gal - click "convert") and all will be well. I think.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: April 13, 2008, 03:45:52 pm

:crazy:

This gets my vote as the most believable attack edit posted so far.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: April 13, 2008, 08:07:23 pm
if this is a game, it absolutely has to have amazing sound effects.  just looking at these animations, I can already hear the sword swooshing through the air and smashing into a brick floor.
it would be cool to have more realistic ideas to it, like when he is finished swinging the sword and he brings it back, it should pull him with the sword a little and maybe have him stumble on some occasions.
(such inspiration in ico and shadow of the colossus)