AuthorTopic: Overly exadurated broad swordsmen (Attack animation updated)  (Read 41953 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Overly exadurated broad swordsmen (Attack animation updated)

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:03 pm
I don't think the slight kneeling down part of this is doing it any favours, personally I think you should of really gone into how you were gonna go about this before hand because it's going to be pretty tricky doing anything fancy without re-doing a lot.

I think it looks fine as it is, with just a solid swoop of the sword (Like this below), suits it nicely imo, could be wrong. But I wouldn't rack your brain too much about this animation unless you're going for a perfect piece.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:41:04 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 12:09:05 am

how on earth does one accomplish either of these frames?
I have no idea what I was doing with the one on the right..
That has been fixed in the new animation.

->

Terley I agree with you on the kneel, it seem's more like an attack now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:27:16 am by Souly »

yosh64

Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 12:13:45 am
hey

What I find odd is how the sword is initially facing us like that, with its weight you would think it would be tilted sideways as it would be to hard for them to keep it facing the way it is ;). I also think it would be better with a more traditional sword, with the big handle sticking out sideways and the actual sword alot thinner, but I guess this is just a personal thing :\.

I haven't read the other posts but I think the animation look like rubber man with double jointed sholders to beable to swing a sword like that, hehe. I think ndchristie's example is better, and so to Ichigo Jam's edit. So yea, maybe look more into those ;).

Ohh, another thing that I think is odd is the way the cape is at the very end, I'd think it would be away from the body, rather than tight around the leg or whatever.

Finally I think you should make the handle of the sword far larger, as it would be so hard to lift such a sword with such a short handle, you would need to get some sorta leverage.

Anyhows I will leave it at that for now.

edit
I was just thinking, the only thing that looks exagerated to me is the overly sized sword. Anyhows if you want it to really look exagerated then I think you need to extend on the animation. Hmm, I think maybe think about making the start of the animation to take a few seconds with them just trying to lift the thing, and then finally they get enough strength and momentum or whatever and get it around, and then make it so the sword gets stuck in the ground at the end and them trying to pull it out or something, I think that would be exageration, hehe :). Another thing is to maybe have the helment lifting up and almost falling off or whatever, hehe.

cyas
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:25:14 am by yosh64 »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 12:16:58 am
Okay so the more I look at it the less this makes sense. In the right frame of the two Rydin posted, how does he go from having it by his side to behind his back? It looks like one arm would have to go through his head to get there and the other would bend in a way that would break it. :(

Although in retrospect seems that's what Nathan was talking about.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
:durr:
Although... it still doesn't make sense. Really, what are you trying to make him do, Souly?

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
:durr:
Damn you Yosh.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 12:40:05 am
The frame that Rydin posted have been fixed and delt with a while back he no longer tries to lift the sword over his head like he has a gimp arm.
As for ndchristie's edit, I want to use the first motion

I am pleased with this one at the moment due to Terly's edit showing me the kneel was pointless.

I've practiced this attack with the giant foam and plastic sword I made a while back.
I don't want it to be a slow struggled attack, I want him to have full control over this behemoth of a sword.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 01:36:24 am
I merely used Rydin's post as a point of reference for where it was in the animation, I was writing about your (at this point) second newest version, so problems with the arms are still there.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 02:18:10 am
what i don't understand is why he crosses his elbow over his face, which is not only awkward, dangerous and time consuming but makes for a weak attack.  Please do this move yourself, and then do it bringing the sword/broom up in front of the face clockwise and tell me if it isn't much more fluid.  after that, have the sword move counterclockwise the way yours does, but keep the right elbow in front of the head rather than crossing it.  either alternative is viable, but the current is ridic.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 02:39:38 am
I agree with Yosh about the cape, it'd be a nice to have a slight delay with it so it's not so clinged to his back.

IGoRge's done a pretty good pixel animation with the character wearing a cape, worth a look.
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/31255.htm#
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 04:41:34 am

Added some dirt behind the sword.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 05:08:14 am
With such a massive object you'd think that with the swing it'd start out much slower and then, once momentum has been gained, become a blur, to really give it that feeling of "holy crap, heavy!" It also looks weird the way he's completely still after swinging. I mean, if your gonna be swinging something that huge it's gonna carry you with it, you know? And once it stops you're gonna keep going, you know?
That walk cycle is...really weird. The way the legs just seem to switch places like that, it really messes with the illusion of fluid motion, and the way each step is animated with asymmetric timing.
Here's an animation I made a while ago of a character with a similarly heavy object and pose Yeah, completely different style, but it may (or may not) help.

I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if I've repeated something.