AuthorTopic: Help  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Help

on: April 01, 2008, 09:31:54 pm

Ok, I ran in to a bit of trouble with this tile I'm trying to make...
Just look at the black lines,  See that arch I made ? I'm trying to create an outer arch around that one.
I can't seem to figure it out. Is there some kind of rule to follow when making 2 arched lines, one inside the other ?

This is the tile I'm trying to create
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:36:54 pm by Lucas »

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Re: Help

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:19 pm

You can always use Arc Tool, especially when trying to make a big arc. Of course the image shows just the arcs. It needs more work to make it look like on the image above.
Sorry for my english.

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:58:06 pm

You can always use Arc Tool, especially when trying to make a big arc. Of course the image shows just the arcs. It needs more work to make it look like on the image above.

Yeah I was even having trouble with the "arc tool" and just got so frustrated, I didn't want to spend any more time on it.
Anyways thanks a lot for the help  :y:

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:47:16 pm
You can always make a circle of the same width as your arc and twice the height. BTW, you DO know to arrange the bricks on the arch to actually form an arch (with a proper cornerstone and such), instead of just  cutting up a section of the brickwall behind it right?

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:30:47 pm

Okay so this is what I have so far.  It's still a WIP, I still need to mess around with the colors a bit. 

And yes I did end up using the circle tool to make my arch.  Thanks for the suggestion.

But I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to give it more depth and also how to make it look more rough and old looking.

And remember this is what I'm trying to create. 
Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:34:22 pm by Lucas »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:56:20 am
Okay now what you lost is the depth, there is a bit of shadow going on being cast bij these arcs, into the 'deeper'area. If you'd add that more clearly, as well as wash out your colours a bit because this is too saturated, too varied, too dark and too strong, you'd get a nice clean result.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:01:02 am
hmmm. what you have is severe lack of contrast.

I know you have some kinks and flaws on the bricks but in real size the contrast is SO low, it's practically negligeable. The way you observed the diferent coloring of each brick is pretty clever an works pretty well, but you're being kinda shy on adding flaws to them, up the contrast on the shades a bit and dont use so many shades to transition from light to dark...it makes everything look flat in the end. Also, dont stop the variying the coloration on the the bricks behind the archs, it's a dead giveaway of your tiling...keep the variation on the bricks behind the archs, but not on the actual archs.

What is the setting? if it's urban you could add some graffiti....some plastered cement over them, or maybe have some of the bricks knocked off if it's some kind of oldage fortress....pick some kinda theme for the variation.

Before you do that, you need to pick a projection angle and a lightsource first. I asume your game is sidescroller since you chose a straight on sidescroller angle. I'd suggest some kinda slanted projection angle to show atleast a little bit of the side of the bricks, that will go a long way to add depth. check any beat-em up for example....sidescrollers have been using beat-em up perspective for ages now.

it's kinda hard to comment on the lighting (and everything else for that matter) when it's just these bricks out of context, depending on how high up on the screen they are you can make the arch part fade out into darkness....or change the lighting situation to bring them some kind of emphasis
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:07:14 am by Conceit »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 02:04:56 pm
I think actually that the overall contrast is way too high with that grout.  yes there needs to be more differentiation between the shades, but first the color ramps need to be brought much closer together in value.  Also the noise you've got isn't really adding anything - simplify and think about overall form and shading, not local.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:12 pm

Well here's a small update. I fixed the shadow under the arch, made some pillars and added another type of brick to the variety.

I got a little tired of working on these tiles so I took a little break from them, and started to make some doors and windows for my tileset.

However I do agree with christie, The colors do seem a bit loud.  I'm a total noob with picking colors in paint... But i'll try my best to dull it down and then post another update.  I'm a little confused as to what exactly you mean though, Because the colors in each individual brick are only 10-15 points brighter or darker from each other... Unless you mean there is too much contrast between a brick and the one beside it ?

BTW these tiles are going to be used for a slum in our city.  I wanted them to have an old kind of run down feel to them... I think I'm lacking that feel right now.  That is my biggest concern with these tiles.

Also, the game I am trying to make is a kind of 2d MMORPG... you will be able to walk up and down and side to side.  The camera angle will be up in the sky looking down on the world at a 45 degree angle, so you will be able to see the front of the building and the roof.  You will be able to understand the perspective a lot more once I finish some roof tiles.  Thanks for the help guys  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:56:05 pm by Lucas »

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 09:29:24 pm
Here's an edit with a (fairly major) palette change. Hope it helps! :D
I also tweaked lighting on the arch to include shadows under the 'stepped' bricks, to make them pop out more:

I think the single most important thing is to tone done the brightness of the mortar - in your picture, the bright lines of the mortar draw attention away from almost everything else about the image. In the photograph, it's mostly a similar brightness to the bricks.
Second most important is to reduce the saturation on the bricks - especially if they're in a slum, they're not going to be a rich red colour.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:38:11 pm by Ichigo Jam »

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 09:45:58 pm
You are a fucking god sir. 
You have no Idea how helpful this has been.
I can't thank you enough.