AuthorTopic: Various sprites of mine  (Read 7183 times)

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Various sprites of mine

on: April 01, 2008, 05:02:29 pm
Hi everyone! My name's Chris. I was on Pixelation four years ago, but when the site moved I couldn't seem to find it again. Until now.

So here, as an introduction (re-introduction?), I have a random and highly unorganized smattering of a few sprites that I have produced in the past while.
Some are a few years old, some are new, some took a few minutes, some took a few hours. Here it is:

Specific notes:
   -I believe that the blue dragon thing was actually my avatar on the old Pixelation.
   -Yes, the domed tank was Metal Slug inspired. No, the shading was never finished.
   -The little balding head above and to the left of the manta-thing is the newest (I did it in a few minutes last night after discovering this site)
   -The two newest relatively sizable creations would be the furry thing with the tongue and the sea monster tentacle.
   -I have an animation of the blue robot at the top firing the laser like at bottom, but until I get a less crappy animator that actually allows me to loop animations, I not going to bother posting it.

So, all that having been said, comment and critique away. I'd love to here what you all have to say (and I know how brutally honest you can be).

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Various sprites of mine

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:25:03 pm
There's some very good stuff in this dump. I especially like your "big monster almost silhouette" and the grassy monster block.
If I had to level a criticism, I'd say that your iso tiles are a bit weak in comparison to the rest.

Just keep 'em coming.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 07:39:50 pm
The dark, orange-outlined golem-type guy is awesome! :D

Great work in general!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:44:18 am
Very nice  :y: I quite like the robot, so I did an edit:

Not sure if I got the perspective right, but hopefully you get something out of it. I increased the contrast and added some higlights on the edges to make it seem more metalic. I also changed the second band of light (is it from say a white object nearby) to be a bit more to the right. Also had a go at making the lighting more circular.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:00:39 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:42:40 pm
Hey, these are great! the black monster thing with the orange outlines is awesome, looks like and enemy in drawn to life (A really weird and strangely awesome game for the DS)

the furry thing with the tounge is sweet, id love to see an animation of that.

fantastic job overall!

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:28:04 pm
Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

If I had to level a criticism, I'd say that your iso tiles are a bit weak in comparison to the rest.

I agree actually. I guess I just don't get much isometric practice because I usually prefer doing non-isometric work.

The dark, orange-outlined golem-type guy is awesome! :D

Thanks! I knew that I wanted to make a big, half-silohuetted creature with trees and whatnot growing on its back but it was originally going to a quadrapedal thing with big teeth. After I finished the rough body shape, I realized that it looked sort of like a hand (with the teeth as the fingers), so I rotated it 90 degrees and drew the rest of the image outward from the hand. Its funny how things like that happen.

Very nice  :y: I quite like the robot, so I did an edit:

I really like the edit, specifically the perspictive fix on the far eye. However, although I do think that I should probably up the contrast I would consider the contrast in yours just a little higher than I would like. Also, the near eye doesn't seem quite as round anymore (Although it probably would sit on the ground better like that). The dark band between the two bands of light was originally supposed to be a stylized sort of shading or reflection or something (I'm not entirely sure, it just looked good to me), but I think that I may like you adjusted shading as much or even more. Thanks alot for the suggestions.

the black monster thing with the orange outlines is awesome, looks like and enemy in drawn to life (A really weird and strangely awesome game for the DS)

the furry thing with the tounge is sweet, id love to see an animation of that.

I've heard of "Drawn to Life" but I've never actually played it before.
As far as the furry thing goes, I actually did make a quick animation but it really only consists of his eyes glowing and his upper part bobbing up and down.

I've decided to post the animation of the little blue thing firing its laser after all. The animation doesn't loop, unfortunately, so you'll either have to download it or keep refreshing the page if you want to see it.

If someone could make it loop and repost it, I would be indebted to you. I need a new .gif animator.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:54:01 pm
If someone could make it loop and repost it, I would be indebted to you. I need a new .gif animator.

Be my guest  ;)
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:35:05 pm
hey, just thought I'd suggest a totally functional and useable pixelart app, that will allow you to loop animations and much more

http://www.take1.de/ it is IMHO the best option when you cant afford to spend any money to get GraphicsGale or Promotion.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0 check the ol' resource thread as well.

The "furry" thing isnt looking furry at all, all the dithering doesnt help get a sense of fur. I would suggest you shape individual strands of hair and use far less contrasted shades.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:45:57 pm
It gets offset one pixel during the animation. I'm not sure which frame but it's pretty destracting.

Offline tarik666

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:50 pm
Hey guys this might be a bit off topic but I love the look of your guys sprites but what i would like to know is what program u use for this. I sometimes make sprites on paint but they look horrible