AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pixel signature - Help constructing pose needed!  (Read 9351 times)

Offline `Rob

• View Profile
Hi i've posted a few times around here and especailly noted the valuable advice and edits you have to offer :)

Here's a forum signature in the making, containing two characters, one being a ranger disposing of an enemy located to our right.

However the pose of the victim is causing me somewhat endless frustration, as this signature is for real currency i have to try and keep to the disires of the buyer, who was understandably unhappy with my first attempt at the second character. :yell:
The pose of this guy needs to be as if he's just been hit by an arrow, obviously, but it's annoying as how such a straight foreward pose is causing me such hastle. :-[

Here is the image;

No background is required, only a plain black one, also the buyer requested a more dynamic pose, taking the full force of the arrow and knocking the victim backwards, off of his feet.

Any help is greatly appreciated, in the form of either edits or advice.

Many thanks, Rob.  ;D

PS. the victim's robes are supposed to be transparent, another feature causing me greif  :crazy:

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Pixel signature - Help constructing pose needed!

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:14:05 pm
What's wrong with the guy to the right, is that he has absolutely no motion. The arrow dug into him, but it looks like he blocked all of the force; something that shouldn't happen when the arrow instantly kills. After pretending I was being shot with an arrow and falling back on my bed, I came up with this:

It's very sloppy, but I think it illustrates my point. Note: the hands were placed where they were because I started with my hands in front of my face.

Hope this helps some.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:19:41 pm
Technically he wouldn't be pushed back by any force, as any force distributed to him would also be distributed to the person firing the crossbow. He could fall back, which is what your edit is showing... which is fine and more dramatic, but it wouldn't be because of force... just depends which way he feels like falling when he dies.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:50 pm
Technically he wouldn't be pushed back by any force, as any force distributed to him would also be distributed to the person firing the crossbow.
Commonly known as recoil? there has to be some force, even for the bolt to be able fire.

He could fall back, which is what your edit is showing... which is fine and more dramatic, but it wouldn't be because of force... just depends which way he feels like falling when he dies.
So, you're saying that when we die, we get to think, "hmm I think I want to fall backwards"? I don't get it.

And to stay on topic, I think it's kind of odd to have a bolt in the crossbow, seeing that he had just fired it.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:17:33 pm
A bit offtopic but is this a runescape signature?

As far as I know selling signatures through rs was banned like 2 years ago, I should know. I made quite a lot of cash in game, it's actually how I came to start pixelling. Decided to take it a bit more seriously when that ban was put into place.

Not like im concerned for you or anything, I just plain thought everyone just stopped selling signatures. But you're describing sigs as currency, bit surprising is all. Lol.. It's one of the reasons I quit.

Do you have the request, maybe I could be of some help.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:22:21 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:41:19 pm
Technically he wouldn't be pushed back by any force, as any force distributed to him would also be distributed to the person firing the crossbow.
Commonly known as recoil? there has to be some force, even for the bolt to be able fire.
Recoil yes, but how much recoil do you get from a crossbow or even a handgun? Not much, at least, not enough to push your body back.

He could fall back, which is what your edit is showing... which is fine and more dramatic, but it wouldn't be because of force... just depends which way he feels like falling when he dies.
So, you're saying that when we die, we get to think, "hmm I think I want to fall backwards"? I don't get it.
You took my words way too literal. I simply meant from a death from a bow, we don't actually fall where we want to, but whichever way physics leads us to fall.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:44:47 pm
A bit offtopic but is this a runescape signature?

As far as I know selling signatures through rs was banned like 2 years ago, I should know. I made quite a lot of cash in game, it's actually how I came to start pixelling. Decided to take it a bit more seriously when that ban was put into place.

Not like im concerned for you or anything, I just plain thought everyone just stopped selling signatures. But you're describing sigs as currency, bit surprising is all. Lol.. It's one of the reasons I quit.

Do you have the request, maybe I could be of some help.

Actually, people still do sell signatures, but not for Runescape money anymore. Now, the currency is USD.

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:08:51 pm
Thanks for your advice and especially your edit Kcilc  :), also thanks for your wise words Dusty :p

@Terley, thanks for expressing your implied concern haha, but ye it's for £ not runescape money and that is how to i got into pixel art.

I'll try and get an update ASAP  :y:

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:52:11 am
Technically he wouldn't be pushed back by any force, as any force distributed to him would also be distributed to the person firing the crossbow. He could fall back, which is what your edit is showing... which is fine and more dramatic, but it wouldn't be because of force... just depends which way he feels like falling when he dies.

This is just wrong. "It wouldn't be because of force?" ALL motion is because of force.  :-\

The kinetic energy of the arrow is transfered to the guy's head on impact. Unless the arrow has already decelerated to a velocity of zero or the guy's head has infinite mass, it accelerates in the direction of the arrow's motion.

Kcilc's edit is very nice. ;D But I think his arms should be drawn further back since he's only fallen a few inches.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 03:00:08 am
You really are picking apart what I said :P
I meant force of the arrow... and of course the arrow has force and of course the force would be transfered... but it isn't enough to send the guy flying back. It would most likely just knock his head back an inch or so(the same amount of distance of the hand firing the crossbow would recoil) and then he'd fall whichever way fits the scenario. I wasn't trying to get into some huge debate about this as I'm no physics major, just explaining that while the pose is better, it's just like Hollywood... over dramatized for viewing pleasure.