AuthorTopic: [WIP] Adventure of Wex - Platformer (Flash)  (Read 9629 times)

yosh64

Re: [WIP] Platformer Game

Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:48:44 pm
hey

I like the character and such...

Anyhows here are a couple of ideas for the grass.

edit
I just wanted to add that I actually prefer the faster animation. I think the animation looks smoother in it, and it looks more upbeat like they are ready for some platform jumping or whatever, hehe. But yea, if you want the character to appear more cool and layed back then ya should probably go with the slower one.

I was just thinking, have you thought about doing multiple idle animations? like if the character has been running for ages then ya can make him puff and look buggered, otherwise if they have just got a power up then ya could make them look energised like the faster animation, otherwise you could have just a relaxed sorta animation.

cya
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:02:40 am by yosh64 »

yosh64

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:34:03 am
Oops wrong thread, sorry... meant for other thread :\.

edit
BTW, I don't mean my previous post, but the post I just made/removed from here, hehe.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:54:33 am by yosh64 »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 03:42:57 am
hey

I like the character and such...

Anyhows here are a couple of ideas for the grass.

edit
I just wanted to add that I actually prefer the faster animation. I think the animation looks smoother in it, and it looks more upbeat like they are ready for some platform jumping or whatever, hehe. But yea, if you want the character to appear more cool and layed back then ya should probably go with the slower one.

I was just thinking, have you thought about doing multiple idle animations? like if the character has been running for ages then ya can make him puff and look buggered, otherwise if they have just got a power up then ya could make them look energised like the faster animation, otherwise you could have just a relaxed sorta animation.

cya

Thanks! Hmm.... for the dirt, I'm thinking I'll want to go with a lighter color (even more than my placeholder fill), so that visibility of the character will still be good if he walks in front of it. But then again, I'm considering making the higher platforms out of something else entirely, so dark might be fine. <---Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. :P

I might agree with you about the faster idle animation.... I'll make a version 3 that's fast like like the first one and has the arms going straight up and down, but with more fluid motion for the legs, shoulders, and hair like the second one. I don't think I want to have multiple idle animations, except maybe for a speed power up; that would be cool. :D

EDIT: Actually, I tried just speeding it up in flash by cutting the number of frames down, and I think the arm motion is okay. I do like it faster. :D

I've made a lot of headway on the programming side of things, but I won't bother updating the flash here until I have some more graphics to drop in or at least the run cycle done.

guhh, spring break just ended and already friggin homework is eating up all of my time....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:09:51 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Adventure of Wex - Platformer (Flash)

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:23:02 am
Run cycle!!

I'm actually very pleased with how this turned out. :D

It's the first run cycle I've ever done, excluding little 16x16, 3-frame retro-types. :P

Anyway, C+C?

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 02:39:03 pm
Not bad, but the neck/head looks too stiff in the animation, and theres two black pixels on the chest that don't seem to do anything?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 05:26:37 pm
Not bad, but the neck/head looks too stiff in the animation, and theres two black pixels on the chest that don't seem to do anything?

How do you suggest I change the neck/head? Also, those two (actually three) pixels are part of the sleeve of the forward arm. I was thinking that would be more apparent once it's colored, but now that I think about it, the sleeve isn't that loose anyway..... Thanks.

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 06:38:08 pm
Just a small thing you may want to consider :).

Nice work overall! :)
Sorry for my english.

yosh64

Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 12:40:05 am
hey

I dunno if it's the way the body is balanced or the motion of the legs, but it doesn't look like they are running to me, but rather some sorta power walk.

I think usually when you run your body is leaning forwards more, and you bring your knees up more without flicking your legs out forwards or whatever.

Hmm, I actually remember a nice running animation I think might be helpful and that was done by someone called frostbite for a 72 hour side scroller game, so I might try dig it up for ya. Otherwise I might make an edit or something.

I can understand that you may have spent alot of effort on the animation and may be reluctant to make any changes, but the more practise the better you will get, but I dunno.

cyas

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 01:47:10 am
hey

I dunno if it's the way the body is balanced or the motion of the legs, but it doesn't look like they are running to me, but rather some sorta power walk.

I think usually when you run your body is leaning forwards more, and you bring your knees up more without flicking your legs out forwards or whatever.

Hmm, I actually remember a nice running animation I think might be helpful and that was done by someone called frostbite for a 72 hour side scroller game, so I might try dig it up for ya. Otherwise I might make an edit or something.

I can understand that you may have spent alot of effort on the animation and may be reluctant to make any changes, but the more practise the better you will get, but I dunno.

cyas

I guess I really should call it a jog cycle. :P As long as it looks like a nice power walk, I'm okay with that, because I don't really want him running at full tilt. Maybe a little more tilt though, heh..... I was a little unsure of the balance. I'll experiment. Thanks!

Oh and don't worry, I'm a perfectionist; I never stop fixing things and thus I never get anything done. :P I'm working on finding a balance....

yosh64

Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 03:14:49 am
hey

Well I finally found this run cycle of frostbite's I was talking of :). Anyhows I think it was done for some 72hr game, which I managed to find on Porko's Game Site (it's called Midnight Snack).

Anyhows I've just made a gif of the frames here, I hope frostbite don't mind... well I haven't heard from them for years, hehe. I noticed there is no head bob and such in the animation, but I think the posture and the motion of the legs is nice and thought you might beable to learn something from it.

Hmm, I've also done an edit on your animation, but it's not quite ready yet.

cyas