AuthorTopic: Some graphics for my platformer.  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Some graphics for my platformer.

on: March 26, 2008, 10:50:07 am
This is some pickup items for my game, eb3k. It's been for development for about 5 years (:lol:)
I usually work on something here and there when I got time, and as I'm doing this all by myself it takes really long time.
I'm not an expert in programming, but worst of all is that I basically suck at pixeling. The first version of all graphics makes me freeze in horror, but I think now I'm getting somewhere. Any tips are appreciated, I would also like if you say if you hate the style or like it :)

The basetile for these is:

Not a pickup item, but it's following the same style. This is a jumper pad.
And this is a teleporter.

I'm also working on my characters, but that's alot harder..
EDIT: This is the character at the moment.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:36:25 pm by Jiisuki »

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Re: Some pickup items for my platformer.

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:24:53 pm
Those animations kick donkey. I love how simple some of them are.

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:53:32 pm
yes, very nice!

The two guns(?), uh 3rd from the left and second from the right are a little indistint.  Also, all the others are nice and iconorific while the guns are realistic, why not turn the gun shapes into icons?

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 01:01:09 pm
Thanks for the comments! :)

About the weapons, iconificating them seems like a really good idea! Will try that out and see if I can get something that works better!
Didn't have time to update the loop points of the gifs, could probably do it tonight.

I've also started working on a tileset for the maps, and it got the same style. Uploading that later too. It feel alot too plain though.

See you soon!

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:00:53 am
Fixed the loop points and added a character, a teleporter and also two other weapons.
You start with these in multiplayer, but in the story you will have to pick them up also.

This is an actual screenshot from the game:

It looks alot better when the background is moving and everything is animated, really!

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:47:06 am
The animations do kick ass, and the character looks great but overall the mockup is very minimalistic and bland. Some issues you could easily address:

- Character has the same color scheme as the background. To make it pop out more, use a completely different color ramp (it's worth the additional colors).
- You could easily make a metallic texture to fill in those big solid fills which are the obstacles. It wouldn't take much and make the game look like so much more.
- As I said before, blandness. To me, the #1 reason for this is lack of contrast. Everything is boxy and too homogenic. You should make the borders wider to lessen the emptiness inside the blocks, and you could put some bright highlights to make them pop out more (characters and obstacles are what needs to pop out).

Hope I helped.

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:09:17 am
Thanks!
Yes, that really help alot.
I was already going to replace the maptiles, these are basicaly a placeholder until I come up with something better.
I'm going to have your tips in my central brain while I'm recreating them!

EDIT: Just to try really quick I desaturated the tiles and added some sort of noise-texture.
I think it's much better already, but I think I'll redo them all anyhow.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:57:16 am by Jiisuki »

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:43:43 pm
Yes, that is much better! This is what I meant for the space marine, to really make him stick out. My photoshop is fudged up and it really bugs me, because the colors i'm using for the display end up completely different when saving for web. Anyway, the colors are supposed to be more saturated.

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 03:16:32 pm
That edit on the char looks amazing! I'll guess I have to work more on the colors, and like you said make him stick out more. :)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 01:29:25 am
Hey, these are AWESOME! the style is fantastic, and the animations are incredibly fluid. And you seem to have mastered pixel laser effects and such. This game will be a blast to play.

One thing the tiles(Floor tiles and such, not pick-up items) lack is diversity. like blaster holes or something, or tiled metal. (Ill do an edit tonight or 2morrow, i have an idea.  :D *Laughs menacingly*)

Oh, one more thing. if he's in space, i think it would be cool if he kind of jumped with every step, like the gravity is kinda low or something.