AuthorTopic: Beauty [upDated]  (Read 22854 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Beauty

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 12:00:47 pm
You've severily misinterpreted the lips. Both in shapes, lights and placement. Nosetrils need a bit more definition. All this considering you're interested in nailing the likness.

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 04:48:02 pm
You've severily misinterpreted the lips. Both in shapes, lights and placement. Nosetrils need a bit more definition. All this considering you're interested in nailing the likness.

An edit to help me out?  Those lips are killing me, and I just can't get them right.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 05:28:18 pm
sure, one moment. Will edit this post with the edit.

Edit: dude, you didn't measure this at all, did you? The whole face is really off, the cheeks, the chin, the nose... eeek. Still trying to pull it together a bit.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 05:59:54 pm by Helm »

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 06:03:40 pm
sure, one moment. Will edit this post with the edit.

Edit: dude, you didn't measure this at all, did you? The whole face is really off, the cheeks, the chin, the nose... eeek. Still trying to pull it together a bit.

Measure?  I just traced it.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 06:09:12 pm
The original image has some pretty dark shadows, so I can see how 'a trace job + bright colors - dark shadows' could add more mass and far less depth.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 06:21:33 pm

this annoys me so much. my edit isn't very competent either, but I was wasting way too much time tweaking here and there whereas the problem is structural. I didn't touch the brow that is also very broken, focus mostly on the lips. The measuring isn't close at all. I guess you can take if from where you have it to something closer in a tweaking manner, but I'd suggest you start over with a cleaner trace ( you don't need to trace in photoshop. Learn to measure with your eye and all that. It's not very difficult ) and a palette that is unified. You don't need more than 10 colours for this.

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 07:02:22 pm
this annoys me so much. my edit isn't very competent either, but I was wasting way too much time tweaking here and there whereas the problem is structural. I didn't touch the brow that is also very broken, focus mostly on the lips. The measuring isn't close at all. I guess you can take if from where you have it to something closer in a tweaking manner, but I'd suggest you start over with a cleaner trace ( you don't need to trace in photoshop. Learn to measure with your eye and all that. It's not very difficult ) and a palette that is unified. You don't need more than 10 colours for this.

I really appreciate the edit and see where I went wrong, and will work on the things you mentioned, but there is no fucking way I'm starting over. That's just a ridiculous suggestion.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 07:19:38 pm
That's just a ridiculous suggestion.

as i said, you can save if from where it is. But you won't learn to measure like that. I think measuring is a good skill to have. Since you like the subject matter, why not do several studies on it? It's what everybody does at some point. The pixel techniques are solid-ish, but the composition suffers. you can move it around until it works, or you can learn how to do this properly and start from scratch. In fact, start on a piece of paper with a pencil or something. It might sound rediculous, but I think you'd get better.

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 07:27:41 pm
That's just a ridiculous suggestion.

as i said, you can save if from where it is. But you won't learn to measure like that. I think measuring is a good skill to have. Since you like the subject matter, why not do several studies on it? It's what everybody does at some point. The pixel techniques are solid-ish, but the composition suffers. you can move it around until it works, or you can learn how to do this properly and start from scratch. In fact, start on a piece of paper with a pencil or something. It might sound rediculous, but I think you'd get better.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've always had measuring problems, come to think of it.  In drawings on paper, that is, I've never actually done a referenced pixel before, so I now realize that I have measuring problems all over the board.  I'll do my best to save it from where it is, although that may sound like a slap in the face to you, but starting over just seems incredibly daunting, and to tell you the truth, I'm kind of sick of drawing this picture.  So, expect some more in the future of this girl, and I will work on my measuring.  As for now, keep watching here for updates of what I can salvage. 

And sorry for sounding harsh earlier, I was a bit pissed off, because, as a redhead, I can be hot-tempered and I don't like being told what I've done wrong.  So, forgive me.  ;)

Offline Pixelfish Returns

• I ROLL BIG
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 05:54:27 pm
Really lovely work here. I like the pose and the photograph in general alot. In your pixel representation, the bottom of the collar, where you've drawn the line isn't accurate to the photo. One of the problems with photo references is understanding that there are no lines, and here, the way you've drawn it, there are lines, and it makes the face look larger than it is. Define your drawing with big spots of tone, especially around the bottom of the face and the side towards the scarf. You've made her look plumper than she is by using borders and light tone. Your lips, as well, don't have the feminine curves the original does.
And honestly, in your version and in Helm's version, I think the color choice has sapped the life from her- the vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows, and pinks in harmony are alot more interesting. And Helm is right about the value, you're gonna need to hit those darks alot harder.
Lovin' it, you're getting better and better. I came back to this stuff just so I could comment on this one piece.
Losing my shape. Trying to act casual.