AuthorTopic: some thing i did for the weekly comp at pixel joint  (Read 3617 times)

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

some thing i did for the weekly comp at pixel joint

on: March 23, 2008, 03:56:22 am

i'm brand new there. my name is YouCrumb

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: some thing i did for the weekly comp at pixel joint

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:38:20 pm
Regarding the above, you could also give the hair only darker tones in additions to what you have now, to keep it in the background and have focus remaining on the face.

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:54:03 pm
well, it's a set palette, so i couldn't really any colors, but that doesn't mean i couldn't have added highlights. shrug.
i guess i'm just bad with hair, which is why i didn't in the first place.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:44:15 pm
it may be all the comics I've been reading, but the pitch black hair seems fine. I really like the piece as a whole actually :D

if I was to fix something I'd probably go and make the hair messier though, the way there's just a few strings of hair breaking the general shape seems kinda underplayed for such crazy character, go crazy with a big brush on it.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:06:54 pm
I don't think he looks very human. It's something about the shape of the face, the wide mouth and the thin nose. I've found that making faces in front of a mirror gives you a good idea of how the facial features distort, so give that a go if you haven't tried it. ;D

I wasn't quite sure what expression you were going for, so he looks a bit more angry than insane in my edit, but it should give you an idea of what I mean. The AA on the hair looks a bit fuzzy and could use some work, too.

Oh, and a note about dithering; when you're using 3 colors like that, put the brightest color next to the darkest. It'll make it blend better and help you avoid banding. :)