AuthorTopic: Frog  (Read 4031 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Frog

on: March 21, 2008, 09:56:01 am
Hello all,

Its been a while ago, but I made some pa again.

This is for a collaboration at DA. I feel a bit like its finished, but thats more because I can't see how to make it better right now, but I do see its not perfect.

I have been moving and changing the right leg forever, its way better than when I started but its still not so good, any tips/edits on that would be very useful!
Also the rest of the frog needs your opinion!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Frog

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:53:15 am
Yo. Still improving I see.

I've got some critique for ya :D
Main thing is that I think it doesn't really have the form of a frog. Frogs have eyes that stand above their rather pointy nose.
Also are their pupils generally wider and bigger. A second big point are the feet. Frogs have very nimble feet with long toes so they can easilly hold on to things.
They almost make me think of a tripod a bit, hehe.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/blue-poison-dart-frog.jpg
Take a look at the feet on that one. You can easilly see how they are built there.

And my third point is texture. I really don't think placing random dots all over it gives a good idea of how a texture on a frog
looks like. They often look like they're teenage kids that have so much acne it makes you feel sorry and at the same time grossed out.
And I just don't think placing random dots will make it look anymore then messy. Even though the bumps are rather small you can still experiment around
with dither types, and even just making bigger dots that you can actually give a light source to make them look like the actually have depth in them
You see, the darker dots make it look more like there are tiny holes in him, rather then tiny bumps.

Frogs also have a relativly shiny and smooth looking surface.
(Smooth and filled with bumps  ???, yes....)
Because they are often in the water of course, they have a rather slimy surface that makes them look very shiny.
So I think some exageration in the bright spots would also help.

Anyway, a picture says more then a thousand words so here:

It's of course a fast drawing, but I think it shows the majority of the things I'm trying to point out.

(The text might not make much sense. but I hope the edit does  :crazy:)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:35:26 pm by Opacus »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:38:10 pm
 ;D

I am not going for the most realistic way, and this was the first thing that actually looked a bit like a frog  ::)

However, I am not here to excuse myself, but to improve  :P

Your frog is really great! Its much easyer to see how I should change my frog with your edit than the photo referrences I used on earlyer frog try-outs (not on thisone)
I don't have much more to say, and I will start editing mine right now!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:50:39 pm
;D

I am not going for the most realistic way, and this was the first thing that actually looked a bit like a frog  ::)

However, I am not here to excuse myself, but to improve  :P

Your frog is really great! Its much easyer to see how I should change my frog with your edit than the photo referrences I used on earlyer frog try-outs (not on thisone)
I don't have much more to say, and I will start editing mine right now!

Hehe, yeah, I understood you werent going realistic. If you were, the body in my edit would've been bigger.
Or the head smaller :) Cause their out of proportion now.

And good luck!

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:59:08 pm
Its more cartoony

mine is more unrealistic in a boring way  ;)

Still lots of work has to get done, but this is a start:

Oh btw opacus, I visited some old teacher of mine yesterday (he studyd at the Art Academy) and he said I have to go to the GLU aswel..  :D

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03:33 pm
inspired me to make my own frog head thingy...

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it