AuthorTopic: Odem Forest - The Chronicles  (Read 9665 times)

Offline ElementZero

• View Profile
    • thomasflachs.de

Odem Forest - The Chronicles

on: March 19, 2008, 03:12:33 pm
Hi there,

my name is Thomas, I'm from germany and this is my first post on pixelation.

I want to present a project to you which I'm working on as a pixel artist. It goes by the name of "Odem Forest" and is supposed to be a jump'n'run rpg, released chapter by chapter, in order to prevent us (my friend the programmer :P and me) from cancelling the project due to motivation problems - hopefully a good plan  ;D Therefore the subtitle "The Chronicles".

Well, here are some examples to show you what I have done so far.

The characters so far: Jonas' grandfather, Jonas' grandmother, Jonas' mother, Jonas himself, the hero of our game, some enemies including: bow and arrow goblin, normal goblin, knife throwing goblin, the first midboss, and some friends of Jonas': Lyn and three guys who don't have names yet. And don't mind that sign standing around between the goblins  :crazy:

running animation

This is a mockup showing the forest, the first episode mainly takes place in. You can also see some parts of the interface.

This screen shows the beach in front of Jonas' house, where he is living with his mum and his grandparents.

I hope my english is understandable. Any advice on improving is much appreciated. If you want to, you may think about names for the three guys on the right side.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:22:09 pm by ElementZero »

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Re: Odem Forest - The Chronicles

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:17:34 pm
Ow man, awesome! Especially forest level ;) But i have one restriction... the blue bar under hearts, i think he should be more dark and maybe more detailed.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:43:49 pm
This looks wonderful ! The idea of making the goblins punk is very good too ;p
My only tiny crit is that the lighting seems to be inverted on the big ogre's club. The upper face should be lit and the bottom one shaded I think. But really, this is just nitpicking.

As far as names are concerned, let's suggest Luke, Ivo, and Phileas
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:37:46 pm by fil_razorback »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:02:25 pm
I think it looks great... the beach scene is a little too saturated for my tastes though.
Also, the sprites have a hard time standing out from the background in the forest, and there is what looks to be selout on the head of the goblins that show up really bad on the white mohawks.

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:15:14 pm
it looks like you already have a lot done, probably more than you're willing to change, but your younger characters look like they're about to fall backwards.

the stance you've got them in looks kind of odd. also, the guy with the red hair looks like he has one short arm. the left one.

Offline ElementZero

• View Profile
    • thomasflachs.de

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:02:27 pm
Wow, thanks for all the comments!

@KAT: Since I don't know how we will realize that bar ingame, I didn't concentrate on details yet. But thanks for the color suggestion.

@fil_razorback: Well, actually I have no idea why and when I did this  ??? Thanks for the advice  :) I'll work on it.

@Dusty: Yeah, I've been struggling with the readability of the sprites against the backgrounds a lot and wasn't really able to figure out what is wrong. Just like you mentioned, I think it has something to do with the saturation instead of the values. The background is often more saturated than the sprites. Thanks for confirming my thoughts  ;D

@infinity+1: Well, the stance... That young guys are supposed to be in a teenager gang, so I decided to give them a kind of cool looking stance. I personally do like them very much, especially the legs, which is why I would rather keep them. But thanks for the hint about the missing arm.  :D

I'm currently working on Jonas' house, which has some kind of perspectivic... let's call it mistiness. I'll show it to you, when I sorted that out properly.

Oh yeah, fil_razorback: Those names are pretty good! Luke reminds me too much of Starwars, but the other ones are quite exotic and good-sounding!

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:37:39 pm
wow!  nice work!  I'm also working on a platformer involving a kid running around in the forest  :)

I don't have much to add.  I agree with the comments about the stance of the boys.  Along with the goblins, they all look like they are arching their backs and thrusting their stomachs out.

In the forrest level you have a ground tile with a more rocky look.  On it's right side it cuts off rather abruptly, and it doesn't extend backwards into the ground shaded by the plants.  That makes it look like part of the trail has fallen away.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:40:13 am
really really nice, just a small note, in the seaside landscape, clouds are "coming out" from the sea, i think it will look better if you separate them just a few pixels.
anyway please go on, rpg-platformers are never enough.

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 06:43:05 pm
These are absolutely incredible. The beach scene is rather oversaturated, though, and it took me a moment to find the goblin in the forest scene. I was reading it as a plant.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline ElementZero

• View Profile
    • thomasflachs.de

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:41:29 pm
@ninjascience: Thanks for the advice about the tileset. I will work on that later.

@politopo: Hm, I don't know if that would make such a big difference. Actually I'm quite happy with the clouds.

@Rave: Thank you. Yeah, as I already said, there are some troubles about the readability of the sprites. Any suggestions for improvement on that would be great.

In the meantime I was working on the arm of the red haired boy, Jonas' house on the beach and a sword slash animation, which is still a WIP.

As I said, there is some perspectivic oddness, which concerns the beach background more than the house itself. After a long discussion with my programmer, we are about to leave it as it is. The house and the greenish stripe of grass and trees in the background are not yet finished, as you would have guessed  :P

The standard attack. Unfinished. And the sword is missing ;D