AuthorTopic: Any tips for human anatomy?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Phickle

• View Profile

Any tips for human anatomy?

on: March 18, 2008, 11:37:13 pm
I'm trying to learn about the human anatomy but I can't seem to find where to start, or how to start. It's such a huge thing to learn and I don't know whether I should start with the font view, back view, or on a certain body part like the head, or hand. I already have a human anatomy book by Christopher Hart and it seems fairly decent, but if someone has any suggestions for a book, I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Re: Any tips for human anatomy?

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:35:28 am
You could probably get a better answer over at cgtalk or conceptart or such, but since no one answered Ill give you how I started.
If you're like me and have a hard time actually sitting and looking in a book I would recommend these dvds:
http://thestructureofmandvd.blogspot.com/
You can check out the lessons he has online before you decide.

All my opinions:
PROS:
_For me_ its was easier to grasp because you follow someone while he points and talk,
I think its one step closer to having a teacher showing you, from books it can be hard to understand what exacly he means by showing just a few pictures.
He starts very basic - first you learn the bonestructre, and later snap on the muscles.
Its good to have some of structure when learning, no steps are skipped.

CONS:
I personaly didnt like his drawing style, although I dont think it made the ratios or anatomy knowledge less valid(just a generalisation anyway, isnt it?)
He doesnt actually tell the muscle names - but has an aproach where you are suppose to make it you own invetion(which can be good, but its good to know names when drawing, or atleast for me.)
Its by no means a proffessional dvd, its basicly just him sitting with a webcam.

I would though suggest that you have books too for reference, where you can investigate more and like a second source of information.
While I have been sitting the last 3 months with these it doesnt mean I can actually draw it in 3d space, you probably will need to start working with figuredrawing, which I would recommend Vilppu for. But anatomy sure helps to render the forms on the figure, you know what to look for.

Im no expert, and I might have missed something, just droped by to give a suggestion where to start.

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:14:03 am
my favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Bridgmans-Complete-Guide-Drawing-Life/dp/0806930152/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206180248&sr=8-1

Bridgeman shows you how to feel the forms of the body and see like a sculptor.  He refers to muscles and bone parts by name however and sometimes I have to read a paragraph several times to figure out what he is saying.  I refer to labeled anatomical charts when reading the book.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:05:05 pm
I have a few good books in mind, but only if you speak italian?

I say distance yourself slightly from reading and go more for direct observation.  mirrors are great, "comfortable friends" are better.  also, i'd say start with the hand, as it contains nearly all of the "problems" faced by the rest of the body (with the notable exception of balance) and fits well within your field of vision without the help of friends or mirrors.

try not to resort to photographs or master studies unless these are heavily supplemented by life study.

try to avoid overly stylized representations while studying the form because, while these can help you explore, if you are just getting started they are nothing but a way to confuse the shit out of your brain.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Phickle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:19:31 am
Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out those DVD's, and my anatomy book sounds similar so I'll just keep what I have, and I'll also try and do the direct observation as well. Thanks again! =)