AuthorTopic: Nintendo DS (Just think of the possibilities!)  (Read 19756 times)

Offline drbokchoi

• Tonight, I dine on turtle soup!
    • View Profile

Nintendo DS (Just think of the possibilities!)

on: August 05, 2005, 07:53:50 pm
Wonder how many actually have this....

Anyways, I don't want to delve into the specs and PSP vs DS blah blah blah

But online is coming in fall so I'm just waitig.

Mario Paintshop DS?

Nah. Just made a mockup. BUT JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES! /thatolddudefromrupert
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:59:32 pm by drbokchoi »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Nintendo DS (Just think of the possibilities!)

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 10:00:17 pm
I have one!!!! And I love it!
Hopefully sooner than later homebrew stuff will be possible on the DS, then some pixeltool might actually emerge.

Btw. the colors should be 15 bit (5 bits per channel) :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:19:37 pm
:) i'd love to have such an application for it
i think it's bound to come up sooner or later, given the abilities of the touchscreen + pen it pretty much suggests itself.

and oh, hey could anybody give me some pointers to some good ds games? i'm not reading any kind of gaming news or reviews, so i'm not really in the know :)

Offline drbokchoi

• Tonight, I dine on turtle soup!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 10:21:31 pm
>_< Doh!

Well, then again, I don't exactly know much about devolopement...

It's going to be pretty hard to make a homebrew one. Unless it was on a GBA flashcart.

and some good games:

Meteos (great puzzler)
Mario 64 DS (you know)
Nintendogs (dog simulater, you could interact, and tell your dog to do stuff) is coming out pretty soon.
Kirby Canvas Curse (guide kirby using rainbow trails. Pretty long I think)
You could import Band Brothers. It's a band simulation game, I think. You could compose your own songs and play with other people.
I'll add more when I think of some.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 12:31:51 am by drbokchoi »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:30:14 pm
I have Mario 64 DS and Touch! Kirby (japanese verison of canvas course) Its a nice game, took me like 1 and a half week to finish, but there is plenty of stuff to unlock left.
I will get Meteos when it comes out here. Already played Jap version of Nintendogs. Its nice, but nothing i would buy. I hope Advance Wars DS will be cool!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 05:13:01 am
PacPix if you're eager to draw out pacmen and nibble those ghosts!
WarioWare Touched is also endless hours of fun. I've overplayed the 2-player ping-pong with L and R triggers.
I'm knee deep in puzzles likes Meteos and Zookeeper (the animal Bejeweled where you lose and get insulted by your boss), and for endless levels, I picked up Yoshi Touch and Go (it's too cute).

Lots of interesting titles coming out soon as well (Castlevania, Another Code...).

It's funny that you mention the pixel painter DS thing... A friend of mine was thinking the same thing a few months ago :D
---Schu

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 07:00:17 am
All I've heard: the system's good and all, and has a great deal of potential, but most of the notable games seem to be Nintendo's own titles. Is development hardware (flash cartridge type stuff) readily accessible yet? I'm wondering how/if/when a pixel art app could appear.

Just to reflect on systems of the past, It almost seems tacky to use words like Touch with their titles. It's like every other game being a 'Super-something or other on the SNES. Same with the blank-64 games. More amusing than anything else, since it used to conceal the poorness of some titles trying to go along with the naming theme.

It's gimmicky, but not in the same sense that virtualboy was, it's way better than that, but it remains to be seen what titles start coming out and which ones utilize more of the system's abilities.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 04:34:31 pm
I wouldn't write off VirtualBoy as gimmicky. I played one for the first time this year and wow, it's an amazing little system. Basically instead of a resolution of 256x256, it's 256x256x256, meaning you can use any of 256 planes of distance from the camera. The Wario game especially was amazing.

DS dev has a thing called PassMe which you stick in the DS slot and it will load DS content from a flash cart in the GBA slot. So yeah, essentially they have a working flashcart system for DS. The problem is that unlike GBA, no dev tools or docs were ever leaked to the net (with GBA they were leaked before GBA was even out!) so coders have had to come up with everything from scratch and reverse engineer to get things working. But they have progressed and there are a few demos being worked on now, although I doubt the scene will ever be as big as GBAdev was.

- Adam

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 05:09:27 pm
virtual might have been smart, but it gave people headaches. Nintendo was wrong to go after that so fervently.

Mia: awesome avatar. Immortal? :P

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 08:35:44 pm
Who can blame Nintendo for pushing the Virtual Boy? I liked it when I played it, but I also like color.