AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sprites!  (Read 5376 times)

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

[WIP] Sprites!

on: March 12, 2008, 09:17:21 am
Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. :)

I'm working on some sprites for a game, I feel they've come a long way since I started (about July) but I still think they could be 10x better if I keep tweaking them. Here's how they look currently:

I also have a version with one extra, softer colour but I don't know:

What do you think? I'm going for a bright, kid-friendly feel and hope that's how they come across. The shading on their bodies bothers me but whenever I attempt to fix it I just make it worse! C&C?

Also, haha, for anybody curious, this was my first attempt, for comparison's sake: 
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg243/delia456/sharks/deargodno.png D:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:41:28 pm by sharksweetheart »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprites!

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:16:05 pm
These aren't exactly kid friendly. I'm actually very creeped out by their faces. The shading is a bit inconsistent on the inside, and they might benefit from selout on the skin - The consistent outline on the skin does not look good.

Overall, they would benefit the most from better shading and maybe some color tweaking.

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:59:36 pm
These aren't exactly kid friendly. I'm actually very creeped out by their faces.

Creepier than Teletubies, or Barney, or  :o Boobahl?

I don't think kids would be creeped out by these guys.  Kids are essentially on a constant low-dosage mushroom trip. The only way to
know how they'll react is to try it out on some.

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:17 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

I tried to make him a little less creepy by editing his eyes some. I don't actually have any kids around to ask, so I'll just have to go with my gut! Ninjascience makes a good point, too.

I also had a go at "selective outlining" and was pleasantly surprised with the results; I've tried it before and it's turned out pretty awful.

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:20:44 am
No comments?  :(

Well, I've pixelled him in 4 directions, and made him a friend:

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:34:06 pm
The tubes coming out of his head, why don't we see them on side view and how come we can see the 'hole' on both front and back view?

Side view head, maybe more hair at the back. Check up on some diagrams on head, I could be wrong.

Back view - maybe some pixels to hint at shoulder blades. Actually the part is on the wrong side I think relative to front.

The highlights on face - its not a good color - you should have it closer to the hue of the other skin shades. Also, I don't think it fits with the light source always (eg. on side veiw, i'd remove them all except maybe on the tip of the nose. Eyebrows- shouldn't the lighter yellow be on the top?

Moustacheod-polarbear-chicken-shark: quite inventive - it doesn't work for me for some reason. My opinion with drawing these types of creatures - you should be able to imagine how a human could evolve into a creature like this.  Also, you should have things figured out like how it will balance etc. So, I would suggest wider shoulders so its balanced. Also, the tail bit should be quite thick at the shoulders, then taper thinner, but not too quickly - you have to fit guts in there somewhere. A creature with a mouth that big makes me think carnivore - so put the eyes on the front. I'd lose the shark fin - to my knowledge you don't get things like that for mammmals (where did the bones come from) and what purpose would it serve. Then again, guess its supposed to be cartoony and funny, so u can forget about what i said, just consider if u do more serious type pic.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 02:11:50 pm
These are awesomely interesting. There are a number of issues with the rotating character. (Personally, i find him/them creepy. But these are for kids, and i never found barney creepy until i was older.) Most of these issues have been stated by sharpm already, but there are a few others:
1. The hair stays the same when hes forwards and when hes backwards.  :huh:
2: and the ears (Are those ears?) shouldn't show the hole on both sides, only one. (I would pick back)
3: The friend guy is awesome, i don't have problems like sharpm, but he does look a tad off balance...

Edit: Whoops... sorry, you did state these, sharpm. :-[
hope i helped anyways. :D

but the design is, as i stated earlier, awesomely interesting.
Kids are essentially on a constant low-dosage mushroom trip. The only way to
know how they'll react is to try it out on some.

SO true.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:13:45 pm by coran »