AuthorTopic: Need help with pixel Tree [First Pixelation]  (Read 6030 times)

Offline x0adam0x

• View Profile

Need help with pixel Tree [First Pixelation]

on: March 11, 2008, 04:42:35 am
I posted about a week ago asking for help about where I can find tutorials on environmental stuff like grass,trees,mountains,stuff like that.
So I read a bunch of pixel art tutorials on line art,shading,light sources,AA, drew some shaded spheres and boxes and stuff   :lol:
Anywho I've gone from trying  to draw boxes to a tree! I'm trying to create an oldschool RPG like scene.

I know the lineart isn't 100% perfect or the palette but I did the best to my ability. (I'm going for an up cheerful type tree not gloomy)

And I've drawn my first serious pixelation, a tree. I've looked at lots of trees in google images zooming in on leafs and such to check em out...didn't help  :yell:

Well.... I drew out my tree made light source and shaded a little to guide myself but now I'm completely stuck... I've tried numerous times to get the "Leafy" look to it but I just can't pull it off, "I know I know I suck right?"

Here is one of the many disasters it turned into.

I stopped halfway here because I zoomed out and realized it sucked.

I'm guessing it's propably my texturing job or perhaps my palette....  :'(

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: Need help with pixel Tree [First Pixelation]

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:12:18 am
It's the basic forms, (ball-on-a-stick shaped trees aren't as common as people think) and also the gradient, that's giving you trouble.The shading doesn't really match the shape of the tree, but the shapes themselves aren't complicated enough to give you a tree-looking tree, I think. For the best results, go outside and copy some trees for half an hour, just try and get them to look like the trees you're looking at. I never thought this was great advice until I tried it, it helps immensely.

Offline x0adam0x

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:38:57 am
Thanks for the advice, Tomorrow I'll go outside and draw some sketches.
Also one thing has been bothering me, Grass.

My grass hardly looks like grass and the grid is sooo visible! I also am finding it hard to make pixelatios that work good with it's palette.

It seems I'm having a hard time with texturing and getting shapes right.

Offline Poine

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 11:45:35 am
Hum i think your tiles suffers a lack of details , i made this in a rush for you , it's not good either but it may illustrate what i mean.

as you see i didnt just randomely pixeled like you did but i tried to get some forms out there
i also did a second one slightly different just for the diversity.

Now if i try to tile it it would'nt look as "Tiled" as yours :

I hope i helped you with these and if you have any question just ask   ::).

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:29 pm
http://"http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5965.msg70461#msg70461

Make sure to check these out. It should surely set you on the right path to making a believable tree.

As for the grass, I would try to use less colors and more contrast. I usually fill the tile with my darkest color and then use a midtone color to draw in clumps of grass. I keep a constant view of how the tile is tiling duirng the entire process from here on out. Once I am happy with how the two-tone grass looks, I will then add a highlight color on areas of the midtone that look like they need more light. At this point I'm either happy with my grass or simply rinse and repeat. Knowing whether or not you'll have a great grass tile by the end seems to be a slightly random thing to me.

Offline x0adam0x

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:22:27 pm
Wow those are beautiful pixelations dopple! Thanks :D
The on by Elk was the kind of style I was trying to get.

And thanks for the advice, I'll study a bit more and take another crack at it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:30:57 pm by x0adam0x »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:40:50 pm
Thanks for the advice, Tomorrow I'll go outside and draw some sketches.
Also one thing has been bothering me, Grass.

My grass hardly looks like grass and the grid is sooo visible! I also am finding it hard to make pixelatios that work good with it's palette.

It seems I'm having a hard time with texturing and getting shapes right.

As for this, i would go with a program called Tilesetmaker. its loads of help for any kind of tileing, i use it all the time...

As for drawing the grass, heres what i do:

Draw little 1-pixel wide gradients about 3-4 pixels tall.
That what i do though, just prefrence. If you do this, one thing to know is not to be shy with how many blades you draw, like i was i the picture above.
Hope i helped.  :D

EDIT:
sorry for the humongous image. Downsized.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:50:03 pm by coran »

Offline x0adam0x

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 05:07:34 am
Thanks for the kind advice guys ;)

I believe I just have to get better as a whole as a pixel artist.

Just have to keep practicing and studying before I should attempt these things, But then again they're a good lesson  :)