AuthorTopic: TREBUCHET - animation  (Read 10002 times)

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

TREBUCHET - animation

on: March 08, 2008, 07:54:37 pm
made this animation for the game, dont know though, anything wrong with it?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: TREBUCHET - animation

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:17:27 pm
i think your arm is going a bit too far, here is a good illustration: http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/courses/egr111/trebuchet.jpg .  If it actually moved in as complete and arc yours does, it would most likely break.  This is not a fantastic diagram though, as it forget the release mechanism.  i'll sketch.

also, i dont know what you want to do about this, but a trebuchet doesn't automatically reset, it needs to be drawn back into position by guideropes and secured.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:31:30 pm
i think your arm is going a bit too far, here is a good illustration: http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/courses/egr111/trebuchet.jpg .  If it actually moved in as complete and arc yours does, it would most likely break.  This is not a fantastic diagram though, as it forget the release mechanism.  i'll sketch.

also, i dont know what you want to do about this, but a trebuchet doesn't automatically reset, it needs to be drawn back into position by guideropes and secured.

aha your right, it should stop in the vertical position...

and i think im still gonna have an automatic reset because in the game all trebuchet will do is keep shooting rocks, until someone brakes it.
thanks man

Offline basara

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:05:52 am
Lovely animation :)

A little detail: The counterweight is being drawn behind the planks of wood in the base :0

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:17:58 am
Some more inconsistencies: the stick's length changes ie when it begins it has a bit sticking to the right of the pivot point, but at the end it doesn't have that same bit. Also, the width of the stick should not change. ie. in that frame basara posted, its one pixel high, but in the first frame it is two pixels high.

About the design of the trebuchet, having that counterweight (a wooden box filled with rocks) suspended by a rope seems unlikely. I'm no engineer, but I a doco I saw on trebuchets they had the counterweight attached to the arm using wood. I wonder if its on youtube (I saw it on tv). The rocking forward that you have shown was reduced by having the trebuchet on wheels. That doco would be great to see the timing of the rocking. I believe your timing would be wrong. The mass of the rock they are flinging will be very small compared with the mass of the counterweight, so I don't think its release would be the cause. Instead of rocking it forward when releasing the rock it should rock forward as the counterwieght goes back (centre of mass should be conserved). Last frame projectile's velocity is inconsistent.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:01:42 pm
Thanks for all the critiques mates, heres the newer version, i fear its turning more as a catapult than a trebuchet -

Static -

Moving -

Fire -

Reload -

Feel free to critique again : D

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:13:29 pm
Man that is loads better. Moving animation... Doesn't look like it's moving, though. Maybe have some way to indicate the wheels are moving?

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 07:24:38 pm
Man that is loads better. Moving animation... Doesn't look like it's moving, though. Maybe have some way to indicate the wheels are moving?

ahh but ofcourse i forgot about the wheels lol

thanks mate

Offline basara

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 09:45:21 pm
Perhaps you could make the wheels have a little bigger radius, that would let you show more detail in them while moving. Plus if its going to be moving in a medieval era geography it would probably have to go through some bumpy terrain.

Maybe :0

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 10:44:47 pm
Perhaps you could make the wheels have a little bigger radius, that would let you show more detail in them while moving. Plus if its going to be moving in a medieval era geography it would probably have to go through some bumpy terrain.

Maybe :0

true...

but look at this image

isnt the size of the wheels small?

but yeah ill see if the big wheels look better