AuthorTopic: animated robot  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Hammer174

• Headbanger!
    • View Profile

animated robot

on: March 08, 2008, 02:40:49 am
im trying to do an avatar for me, but im still noob so i created a simple one, but it took me a good time

here it is:

i tried to make it walk too, but this movements are smoothness:

and i tried to make some diferents effects here:

please coment it

i create pixel art in gimp, and i also make the animations in gimp, i use windows, does anyone know an better way for me to work with pixels?

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Re: animated robot

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 07:06:36 am
no shame in being new to anything.
i don't very much, and i'm in a perpetual state of figuring things out trial-and-error style.  :lol:
however, i was working on a robot project a little while ago, and through a lot of help from the members here, i was able to turn it into something pretty decent.
couple of things: your shading doesn't seem to have a consistant light source, and is especially confusing around the foot and hip area.
i messed around with the palette you already are using and aside from slight changes to the form, i thought this might help a little bit:

shrug. i guess it's way different looking. haha.

also, i just use paint. cause i'm raw.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:19:48 am
for walking stuff see: manning krull's walk tutorial http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

Offline Hammer174

• Headbanger!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:34:05 am
thanks champs

i will try to improve this shading next time, your robot helped me to understand where i have to make tha shading, about tha palete i dont understand very well about it, i always use diferent colors in each work i finish

tock thanks for this link

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 04:18:34 pm
Okay, first off, even though your new, i looks like you just used a gradient tool on everything except the torso. that is, IMO, NOT okay. The only way to learn is to draw it yourself. also, the torso should turn a little in the walk animation, because at the angle your at, it would be impossible to have him walk. I'm no expert on walk animations myself, but i would use more like 8 frames.

Other than this, it looks pretty good and i like the design. nice color choice. ^^ please pardon me if i came off to harsh. :-X
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:20:06 pm by coran »

Offline Hammer174

• Headbanger!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:47:20 am
alright its your opinion, but i just wnat to say that i didnt use gradient tool in it, i ve been wathing lots of video tutorials, then did this robot pixel by pixel, just using the gimp pencil too, about the imo, i think a read something about this, but i really dont remember waht does it mean  ???l about the walking animation, i will stop trying to do walking efects for a while since i figure out that its too hard for me yet

EDIT
i know tha my english isnt very good, but did you got what i mean?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:53:14 am by Hammer174 »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 01:29:10 pm
Yup, i did. :)
Once again, i do apologize of i came off to harsh. but a more defined light source would be awesome. ill do an edit later today to show you what i mean.
i create pixel art in gimp, and i also make the animations in gimp, i use windows, does anyone know an better way for me to work with pixels?
i've just started to use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and Adobe ImageReady. But thats just my prefrence and you do whatever you want.

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:04:39 pm
Even if you didn't use the gradient tool, the straight gradients you use on the large forearm and lower legs don't look good.  They should follow the shape of those parts.  Using a straight gradient makes them look flat.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:04:48 pm
I think photoshop might be overdoing it a little, but it all comes down to your personal preference.

I prefer Graphics Gale for pixel art, however.  ;D

Um, sorry for the off topic post. Ninjascience's advice is the best I can offer, along with shading the outline when it's near those highlights you should create.

Offline Hammer174

• Headbanger!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:57:50 pm
yes, i downloaded graphic gale, its a perfect program for pixel art, but the free version doesnt work with gif format  :(

this robot was just the first try, i will make something better next time :)