AuthorTopic: [WIP] Hesper  (Read 8640 times)

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

[WIP] Hesper

on: March 06, 2008, 07:18:38 pm
This is Hesper, a pixel girl who likes to run around in the forrest surrounding her grandmother's cottage.

As an artist I'm a complete noob, this work heavily references the style of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

I'm not completely satisfied with the hair, the skull, or her belt buckle.  Any advice is much appreciated.

original
combined edits nixed
new smaller ver nixed

new original sized versions, with short hair and long:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:51:16 pm by ninjascience »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platformer Girl

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:32:42 pm
Could you post the reference you used, like on TIGF? :P
The main issues right now are the readability and anatomy. The arm is barely separated from the hair and hard to see, and the legs and arms are pretty much just noodles.
You should do pen or pencil studies of real people's arms and legs if you want to be able to draw them well, even if stylized.
Here's pictures of a naked lady, to help you out: http://fineart.sk/photos/akira/023.JPG

Besides that, good start :crazy:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:05:36 pm

it took me a few minutes to figure out what Sherman Gil meant by TIGF, but I got it.  This version is slightly different than the one I posted on TIGF, and I had deleted the reference from my doc since then.
Here's the image with the reference.  Hesper on the left, character from Soul Nomad on the right.  I basically made points where the "extents" of the body were, such as the top of the head, chin, shoulders, hands, knees, hips etc. then filled in for my character.  I studied some of the other characters to get the clothing and hair. 

more Soul Nomad sprites

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:33:26 pm

I took the liberty of editing your piece.

The thing that stuck out to me about the skull is the fact that, how
you shaded it, makes it look more like a paper cut-out instead of a skull.
So what I did to fix this was shade it like the hair around it and took out the outline.

The problem with the hair is that, while it has a bit of shading, is again, not
looking very three dimensional. So I shaded just under the hair that is falling over
her forehead and added a little bit of back lighting behind her head.

The belt buckle I just shined up a bit.

The last thing I decided to do was pop a little bit more volume into the rest of the character;
namely the shorts, arms and legs. Then tweak the palette by getting rid of 14 useless colors
and bringing up the contrast on the other 20. I think I would be possible to bring the color count
down more than what I did but I didn't want to spend too much time on cleaning up the colors.

I know that my edit isn't perfect, just trying to give you a few ideas to work with.  :)
Happy pixeling!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:38:12 pm
Danette is part cow, look at how her legs are. That affects her torso's posture. I think you should rethink her chest, it looks too superficial - it wasn't meant to be a "normal" standing pose. She juts her crotch out, and her chest back. Your character should be standing normally.

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:12:12 am
Here's some slight edits based on Sherman Gils comments. 

added some depth to the legs
made the hair darker where it shows between the arm and the body
added some hair peaking out from the right side of her face to match the left

@Kcilc
I like what you did with the legs and the clothes.  Although the hair is better done, the hairstyle itself isn't what I'm going for, which probably means I didn't do a good job on mine trying to convey what I wanted.
I like your skin tone a lot better than mine too.

This was my inspiration for her bangs http://flickr.com/photos/ninjascience/272310368/

EDIT:
based on your edits:

changed the hair so it doesn't stick out more, went back to the red eyes, beefed up the arm a few pixels, changed the hair palette

@Atnas
Yeah, I had thought I had moved away from that impression on my figure, but maybe not.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:50:16 am by ninjascience »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:26:23 am

I thought I take another crack at the hair. While doing that I noticed some perspective issues as well,
mostly in the torso. I just clipped down the size of her (our left) right leg's pant leg and her arm respectively.
I'll stop messing with your sprite now, I promise! ;D

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 04:39:15 am
Edits based on the original, I didn't spot that there was a newer one.

I think you need to punch up the size of the skull for it to read well, but I'm not sure my edit shows that, exactly - I can't really match the style. Drawing cute skulls is hard.

Probably you still need to clarify what's going on with the hair on the other side of her face.

Use negative space more to outline her arms.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 04:42:56 am
New hair is mucho better!

MIEN -> <- YOUR
Legs legs sexy legs. You did not pay attention to the nude lady I posted, did you :-\.
So yes, mostly an edit on the legs and shorts. I'll go from top-to-bottom here though
First, I made negligible edits to the skin palette, mostly on accident :'(.
And the background I made darker because working on a white background will skew your perception of your colors (This is important! !yus!)
Next, I changed the lighting on the hair to be more from the top, since your lighting all over the image jumps around quite a bit.
Breasts! Changed lighting here too, to have higher contrast and to match an upward lightsource.
Belt: I only made like, a one pixel change here but it works: In your image I think it was too centered, so I changed the bottom right to make it look tilted and more to the left overall. ;D
Shorts: Changed lighting! My edit isn't great here, but pretty much, upward lighting.
legs legs sexy legs: I made them kind of chunky, but pretty much, look at the nude picture I posted before. Look at how they have kind of an S curve and how it juts out right below the knee and how prominent the calf muscle is.

Get it? :crazy:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:47:53 pm
sherm i think your edit breaks the style and gives her very very large legs for the sizes of the rest of her body.

i think the shoulders need to be reduced in size and the chin freed from them (either drop them a pixel or raise the head).  the expression of the source is pretty space-cadet but at the same time a lot cuter.  your character is grumpy/constipated, mostly eye placement and angle.  also, there's something sorta awk about the forehead, it's going very \ and would be a lot better if it went more /, if you know what i mean.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.