AuthorTopic: [WIP] First Attempt at a pixel (bridge)  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Arise and Ruin

• View Profile

[WIP] First Attempt at a pixel (bridge)

on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:29 am
Hey... im a new poster\long time view of these forums :P

This is my first 'real' attempt at making some pixel art and i jsut wanted to post it to see if im doing it semi right because i have no clue what im doing haha :P.
anyways here it is..

Anything helps, this is my first time trying to colour it in well. -Please take note that i know some things and im eventually going to try to get rid of the black outlines and im going to learn then try to AA it where ever i can ;)
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:31:29 am by Arise and Ruin »

Offline skeme_IN5

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] First Attempt at a pixel (bridge)

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:49:14 am
Hey, im new to this forum and fairly new to pixel-art so i cant give too much C+C but here goes...
The green frame thing in the top right corner is too wide(it would look thinner/smaller than the one closest to us)
Also the lines at the bottom are not parallel with all your other lines(orange circles), the bridge should be more in the middle of the concrete thing(red circles and example) and the railing thing looked like it was going under the bridge if you know what i mean. oh and the bridge looks like its going under the concrete thing(green circle in my example shows how it should be like)
also try not to go thicker than 1 pixel for outlines and stuff cuz it looks messy.   
Hope that helped and yeah, it looks pretty good,  a little tidying up here and there and it will look a lot better

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:55:52 am by skeme_IN5 »
Come in peace or leave in pieces

Offline Arise and Ruin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:10:38 pm
Thank you Skeme! The ideas and crits you gave me were excellent ;) but i think im just going to scrap this peice.. i dont know where to go with it from here anyways. :\

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:39:01 pm
Rules of perspective recommended
You're trying to make a neat use of perspective with this bridge gapping into distance. But iy looks unreal because you do not make use of perspective. Allow me to explain you the basic rules of perspective with this image:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9606/1ptperspectivewb3.png

The Horizon, is also your eye level. The VP is a vanishing point, this is a 1 point perspective image. In the top left I make an outline for the bridge structure, this version having 2 pillars and 1 butress inbetween. Now I drag it all the way towards the horizon, to the vanishing point. This is because the thickness of this object will be bent towards perspective. Also, because the other side of the bridge is positioned linear to this side, we can draw the other piece somwhere along the help lines towards the vanishing point, we can choose for ourselves where because we have no set length of the bridge.

Inbetween I just used the curved line tool of MS paint and kinda guessed where the center of the bridge would be within this perspective. You should aso know that in perspective the distance seems to get less and less, therefore the density of the lines representing the cables should get higher and higher, I didnt pay high attention to it, but if you've got a photo of a street with lots of streetlights, you can see for yourself and estimate what will look convincing in your image.

Lets keep it at this, even though fully realistic images have 3 points in perspective, you can learn about 2 point perspective later on, there are some good methods to create 2 point perspective images using a plan view and some height measurements.

Offline skeme_IN5

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:46:17 am
That was some very useful info TrevoriuS, i learned quite a bit from that, thanks
Come in peace or leave in pieces