AuthorTopic: [wip] Iso tiles  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Bizze

• View Profile

[wip] Iso tiles

on: March 06, 2008, 04:54:26 pm
Hi there

I'm trying out some iso tiles stuff and thought I would put in a post here for some C&C  ;)
Please ignore the pillow shaded stone at the top.. it will make a one way journey to the bin.

My main problem is the tree, in the picture there is 3 different evolutions of it but I can't seem to get one that stands out properly and they seem rather flat even though I tried to base it on other posts here showing how to think about it as spheres for the shading.

My current tree tile

Even though the tree is my main headache at the moment I would appriciate comments on how to improve any other tile as well :)

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Iso tiles

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:14 pm
i'm brand new to pixeling myself, but I'm going to chime in with a few things I see.  Anybody else feel free to C+C my C+C.

It looks like you use the "group of spheres" technique for your trees, and it's obvious because you're using the same sphere for each "blob" of the canopy, maybe do a new sphere for each blob.

If you're going to do two different trees, they should look more distinct.  Your smaller tree has brighter leaves, it stands out more against the grass tiles, but it uses the same trunk.

The ground really looks tiled.  You've got more of your dark shade on the bottom edges of the tile, making a distinct V shape that really stands out when repeated.  You've got some alternate tiles
with a little green, or a little lighter color, which is good, but maybe make a few more tiles that have even less of the those elements to mix in as well.

The green strands draped over the level change in the grass tiles looks weird.

I really like the shades you picked for the water, but maybe it's too smooth?

I really like your cactus!  But why is it so close to a forest and a marsh? 

The rocks in the water look really great!

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:35:00 am
trees trees trees. Those are the things that really do not go with the rest of your isometric set. which looks great by the way.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:08:09 am

based on the shading on your stone walls, your scene is lit from the far left, not from the front-left
that's probably the best angle for it, anyway, because it means the light is further from the view angle, which means more midtones and shadows. If everuthing is lit near the view, you get mostly hilights, so your shapes aren't defined as clearly.

Offline Bizze

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22:59 am
Thanks for the comments

I can't believe I missed the V shape on the sand tiles, I must have stared my self blind on them  :o They are really
really obvious now when you pointed them out.

I made the bottom part of the level change a bit more subtle

On the smooth water, If I start to put some waves in it then I will have to animate it (I know myself) and opening
a whole new can of worms that I can't handle  :'( It is tempting though....

Tocky, I see what you mean. A very good point and your edit is a huge improvement. I will keep that in mind while
doing the next iteration of the tree ( I will also do different blobs in it :) )

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:45 pm
For the tree, you also need more shading on the trunk - currently it looks quite flat, as the predominant colour is the same mid-tone across the whole surface of the tree.
(The problem is more visible in Tocky's edit - because the foliage looks more three-dimensional.)
Also, you seem to have forgotten about your light source on the earthen edge between grass and water - both left and right edge look the same, but clearly the left edge should catch more light.