AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Girl (Update! 5/15)  (Read 30052 times)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Girl

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 02:24:18 am
You can't notice them because you couldn't even notice them when they were added :y:
They were extra colors that werent needed. And I didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet.
Hate to break it to you, but there are still 15 colors + transparency in your edit. I see now that you replaced most of the medium-dark flesh tone with the medium-dark brown, but that's all. And the way you say you "didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet" implies you did take out the first one....? But all you removed was my empty box representing transparency! Explain?

Your right, I didn't quite read all of your explanation, I just read the part over the skirt, copy pasted and saw that the top 2 matched and it threw me off a bit so I took it off and I took of the medium dark brown. My mistake, you have 15 with transparency, hey 1 color can make a change  ::)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:28:22 am
You could merge the skin/hair and top/skirt ramps, but there's not a lot of reason why you ought to, if you haven't got that nagging voice in your head. I'm using 11 colours, I think.

I think you need to shape the hair and the arms some more.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:27:21 pm
Yea I do agree you could go further into shaping her, mostly tocky's edit makes her look slightly more relaxed with her arms.

But maybe it's not the best idea to restrict the palette beyond a certain point, just for the sake of seeing how low you can get the colour-count down to. You do need some variation with this and putting green into the skirt could just make everything a bit too samely.. Also I think it was a good idea to keep the peachi-ness to the skin victor, unless you're trying to keep to a restricted palette feel free to make subtle colour choices to further this character. But always look out whether you're just wasting colours where they're so close anyway, when neither one is making a massive difference in anyway it's just easier to meet in the middle of the two and use the single colour.

I think you're edit has lost the right level of contrast victor's had tocky  :B
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 08:39:59 pm

this version is superior.  Its cleaner and sexier.  Terley's edit and the Terley inspired edit make her look like she was deformed at birth and has a half based-in face with a giant welt where her other eye should be.  Shes become even more top-heavy with strange muscleman/ape boobs.  If the folds in the skirt were done in a more realistic manner it might be ok but I'm tempted to think that even there the original was better as there is no need for detail in the skirt it just distracts from the focus - her face (and tits). 

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:17:04 pm
thanks locrian basically my edit is bollocks, and I've lead tehwexxl0rz in the wrong direction by suggesting not to pillowshade and clean up his palette. Thanks for being so in depth about that.

Is it really a good idea just because it's a woman to try and automatically think, ok lets draw all focus onto the tits and cute face, and make a half-assed atempt at detailing anything else (afterall its a female sprite and no one'll notice).

How about adding a suggestion or comment without putting down everyone else's efforts to help  :(
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 09:21:40 pm
I think your edit fails on the face because it alters the style (watch out, I'm saying this in a very careful manner because it's a loaded counter-crit usually) in that the new style is not discernible. I don't see a nose, the features are muddled, they don't read.

It fails on the skirt because the gradient (whereas I'd do it with a different manner, not dithering) towards darkness shapes straight-ahead legs, whereas your edit makes her seem as if she's squatting, which isn't good.

I support your palette optimization (though I think the skirt should stay dark blue, not merge with the green) and the de-selouting where appropriate. Even when an edit isn't better than the original, everybody learns from them and talking about them and comparing them. There's no effort wasted when you try to help someone.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:11:27 pm
It's going nice but there's still a lot of stuff lacking.
Right side (our right) of the face remains heavily unfinished. You could place the whole other eye in there if you wanted. As it is now, it just looks 'bluffed'. Be wary of cheating on yourself this way. Also, boots seem lit form the right (our right), and everything else is lit from above. Furthermore, left (our left) arm is in an unnatural position. Next, the wrist of the other arm is centered with the forearm. Look at your own arm and you will see what i mean.
If you need an edit to make it clear, let me know.
i

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 01:08:16 am
sorry if my frankness and sense of humor upset you Terley.  I don't disagree with color optimization, so you didn't do all bad.   :y: :P

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 01:23:58 am
It's going nice but there's still a lot of stuff lacking.
Right side (our right) of the face remains heavily unfinished. You could place the whole other eye in there if you wanted. As it is now, it just looks 'bluffed'. Be wary of cheating on yourself this way. Also, boots seem lit form the right (our right), and everything else is lit from above. Furthermore, left (our left) arm is in an unnatural position. Next, the wrist of the other arm is centered with the forearm. Look at your own arm and you will see what i mean.
If you need an edit to make it clear, let me know.
You are right about the boots, I just haven't gotten around to fixing them yet (now that I've better defined my light source). Not suuuure I understand how you think I could make the face better....? I don't think the whole other eye should be visible at the angle she's facing. I actually have edited that right wrist slightly already, but I think I like the left arm. Even if it is unnatural, I'm letting it slide for the sake of style.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 04:23:53 am
But maybe it's not the best idea to restrict the palette beyond a certain point, just for the sake of seeing how low you can get the colour-count down to (...) I think you're edit has lost the right level of contrast victor's had tocky

I wasn't reccommending any actual merging of the palletes. Isn't it true that, as far as the machine's concerned, if you're using more than 8 colours, you might as well be using 16? So unless you cut out half the colours, there's no advantage memoriwise. It's just nitpickery.