AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Girl (Update! 5/15)  (Read 30179 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

[WIP] RPG Girl (Update! 5/15)

on: March 03, 2008, 11:27:42 pm
OLDEST>>CURRENT
>>>

EDIT: One color eliminated! I assimilated the hair highlight with the base skin tone. I don't want to lose the peachiness of the skin though, so I'm hesitant to swap in more brown.....

I'm not yet satisfied with the skirt and below the waist in general. I know that I pretty much abandoned shading on the skirt, but I want to keep the color count at exactly 16, including transparency. Any advice there? (EDIT: I decided I like the proportions. :P)

Well.... whoo! My first post. :P Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:42:58 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Girl

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:06:33 am
I took out 2 colors that you didn't need leaving you at 14, meaning you can use 2 more. I found a neat Capcom sprite of a girl's pose and I mxied it up with yours. Im not 100% correct but im sure theres a few atanomical distortions in your sprite. Here's what I did

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:43:19 am
I took out 2 colors that you didn't need leaving you at 14, meaning you can use 2 more. I found a neat Capcom sprite of a girl's pose and I mxied it up with yours. Im not 100% correct but im sure theres a few atanomical distortions in your sprite. Here's what I did
Ooh, I like the way you cleaned up the torso! Hmm.... sorry, I fail to see which colors you took out....?
Also, umm yeah, both my sprite and the Capcom sprite have some pretty extreme stylistic, anatomical distortions. Not sure how well they match up..... haha.

Thanks! :D

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:47:22 am
You can't notice them because you couldn't even notice them when they were added :y:
They were extra colors that werent needed. And I didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:16:31 am
You can't notice them because you couldn't even notice them when they were added :y:
They were extra colors that werent needed. And I didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet.
Hate to break it to you, but there are still 15 colors + transparency in your edit. I see now that you replaced most of the medium-dark flesh tone with the medium-dark brown, but that's all. And the way you say you "didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet" implies you did take out the first one....? But all you removed was my empty box representing transparency! Explain?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:24:55 am
I like the proportions you had originally, as it maintains the feel that you intended as well as the style.

Try and vary the finger length, I know it's hard to pixel fingers, but it could work wonders for making them look less like spatulas.

I'm not sure why you decided to add a dither gradient to the skirt, shouldn't the highlight follow the form of her legs?

As Victor's stick legs point out, the kneecaps should be further out than the rest, making them resemble the shading on her breasts, rather than as a flat gradient.

It looks great so far, and with some tweaking it will look even better.  :)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:48:29 am
I like this character, nothing about it's anatomy I'd change really works pretty well.

>>

I've done a sloppy edit if you don't mind to try fix some parts that need more attention imho, first off I've knocked this down to 13 colours from 15.. Mostly colours that could be shared between the hair, boots and skin.

You seem to have pillow shaded this to a degree, remember to push for a directional light source so it's easier to portray shape for your character, if the lights flat on you'll just suceed in making your character look flat.

Im not too great at skirts, and I can't exactly find any great reference pictures to help with it (all seems to be mini-skirts and naughty stuff..) But after holding a towel up to that shape it seems it dips in the middle which would make sense, could be pulled off better but this is how I'd generally go about it..

Tweaked other places too the strands of hair on the left don't need the lightest shade on imo, since it would be shadowed by the head, plus it may help to push it back more so there's more dimention in the levels.

Tried to fix som AAing too, you'd banded some places unecissarily.

Oh and the lightest shade is so close to white, and the darkest shade is so close to black.. Why not just round em off? Won't make a difference overall but is just common sense to clean up your palette's distribution.

I'd lay off the dithering for something this size unless you want some texture to show or you think it may work.

Erm, lastly I just used lighter shades for the lines facing the lightsource where needed. Just more control of line thickness really and goes an extra step to help to shading shape the character.

Good work, hope my comments are of some help.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:23:53 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:58:20 am
I think that the pillow shading worked on her breasts. They're rather... Pillowy.  ^-^

I also think that his face was a bit better, as it's not common in this "anime" style to shade out an eye, they even go over bangs sometimes - they take priority because they are the main instruments of expression.

The skirt and boots are a lot better in your rendition.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:08:11 am
The main instrument of expression is through the use of body language Atnas, a facial expression is an addition to the emotion.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 02:21:35 am
In anime and  anime-styled pixel art, I've noticed more attention to the facial details than the actual body when it's at this scale - however you are entirely correct, the body expresses much more than the face.

When I look at the sprite, my eyes start at her left boot, up the angled highlight of her skirt, along her bent arm, to rest on her face. In this particular instance, I see a dithered region where I'm expecting the eye to be, and it completely messes up the flow. When the eye is present, I pick up where I left off in the last example, and am lead across her face, down her hair, and then my eye follows down the arm with a pleasant swoop at the end when I reach the hand.

I might be looking at this too compositionally, it depends on how active the sprite is when animated, if it will be.