AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Girl (Update! 5/15)  (Read 30058 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

[WIP] RPG Girl (Update! 5/15)

on: March 03, 2008, 11:27:42 pm
OLDEST>>CURRENT
>>>

EDIT: One color eliminated! I assimilated the hair highlight with the base skin tone. I don't want to lose the peachiness of the skin though, so I'm hesitant to swap in more brown.....

I'm not yet satisfied with the skirt and below the waist in general. I know that I pretty much abandoned shading on the skirt, but I want to keep the color count at exactly 16, including transparency. Any advice there? (EDIT: I decided I like the proportions. :P)

Well.... whoo! My first post. :P Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:42:58 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Girl

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:06:33 am
I took out 2 colors that you didn't need leaving you at 14, meaning you can use 2 more. I found a neat Capcom sprite of a girl's pose and I mxied it up with yours. Im not 100% correct but im sure theres a few atanomical distortions in your sprite. Here's what I did

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:43:19 am
I took out 2 colors that you didn't need leaving you at 14, meaning you can use 2 more. I found a neat Capcom sprite of a girl's pose and I mxied it up with yours. Im not 100% correct but im sure theres a few atanomical distortions in your sprite. Here's what I did
Ooh, I like the way you cleaned up the torso! Hmm.... sorry, I fail to see which colors you took out....?
Also, umm yeah, both my sprite and the Capcom sprite have some pretty extreme stylistic, anatomical distortions. Not sure how well they match up..... haha.

Thanks! :D

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:47:22 am
You can't notice them because you couldn't even notice them when they were added :y:
They were extra colors that werent needed. And I didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:16:31 am
You can't notice them because you couldn't even notice them when they were added :y:
They were extra colors that werent needed. And I didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet.
Hate to break it to you, but there are still 15 colors + transparency in your edit. I see now that you replaced most of the medium-dark flesh tone with the medium-dark brown, but that's all. And the way you say you "didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet" implies you did take out the first one....? But all you removed was my empty box representing transparency! Explain?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:24:55 am
I like the proportions you had originally, as it maintains the feel that you intended as well as the style.

Try and vary the finger length, I know it's hard to pixel fingers, but it could work wonders for making them look less like spatulas.

I'm not sure why you decided to add a dither gradient to the skirt, shouldn't the highlight follow the form of her legs?

As Victor's stick legs point out, the kneecaps should be further out than the rest, making them resemble the shading on her breasts, rather than as a flat gradient.

It looks great so far, and with some tweaking it will look even better.  :)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:48:29 am
I like this character, nothing about it's anatomy I'd change really works pretty well.

>>

I've done a sloppy edit if you don't mind to try fix some parts that need more attention imho, first off I've knocked this down to 13 colours from 15.. Mostly colours that could be shared between the hair, boots and skin.

You seem to have pillow shaded this to a degree, remember to push for a directional light source so it's easier to portray shape for your character, if the lights flat on you'll just suceed in making your character look flat.

Im not too great at skirts, and I can't exactly find any great reference pictures to help with it (all seems to be mini-skirts and naughty stuff..) But after holding a towel up to that shape it seems it dips in the middle which would make sense, could be pulled off better but this is how I'd generally go about it..

Tweaked other places too the strands of hair on the left don't need the lightest shade on imo, since it would be shadowed by the head, plus it may help to push it back more so there's more dimention in the levels.

Tried to fix som AAing too, you'd banded some places unecissarily.

Oh and the lightest shade is so close to white, and the darkest shade is so close to black.. Why not just round em off? Won't make a difference overall but is just common sense to clean up your palette's distribution.

I'd lay off the dithering for something this size unless you want some texture to show or you think it may work.

Erm, lastly I just used lighter shades for the lines facing the lightsource where needed. Just more control of line thickness really and goes an extra step to help to shading shape the character.

Good work, hope my comments are of some help.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:23:53 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:58:20 am
I think that the pillow shading worked on her breasts. They're rather... Pillowy.  ^-^

I also think that his face was a bit better, as it's not common in this "anime" style to shade out an eye, they even go over bangs sometimes - they take priority because they are the main instruments of expression.

The skirt and boots are a lot better in your rendition.

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:08:11 am
The main instrument of expression is through the use of body language Atnas, a facial expression is an addition to the emotion.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 02:21:35 am
In anime and  anime-styled pixel art, I've noticed more attention to the facial details than the actual body when it's at this scale - however you are entirely correct, the body expresses much more than the face.

When I look at the sprite, my eyes start at her left boot, up the angled highlight of her skirt, along her bent arm, to rest on her face. In this particular instance, I see a dithered region where I'm expecting the eye to be, and it completely messes up the flow. When the eye is present, I pick up where I left off in the last example, and am lead across her face, down her hair, and then my eye follows down the arm with a pleasant swoop at the end when I reach the hand.

I might be looking at this too compositionally, it depends on how active the sprite is when animated, if it will be.

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 02:24:18 am
Hate to break it to you, but there are still 15 colors + transparency in your edit. I see now that you replaced most of the medium-dark flesh tone with the medium-dark brown, but that's all. And the way you say you "didn't take out the 2nd one out of the pallet" implies you did take out the first one....? But all you removed was my empty box representing transparency! Explain?

Your right, I didn't quite read all of your explanation, I just read the part over the skirt, copy pasted and saw that the top 2 matched and it threw me off a bit so I took it off and I took of the medium dark brown. My mistake, you have 15 with transparency, hey 1 color can make a change  ::)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:28:22 am
You could merge the skin/hair and top/skirt ramps, but there's not a lot of reason why you ought to, if you haven't got that nagging voice in your head. I'm using 11 colours, I think.

I think you need to shape the hair and the arms some more.

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:27:21 pm
Yea I do agree you could go further into shaping her, mostly tocky's edit makes her look slightly more relaxed with her arms.

But maybe it's not the best idea to restrict the palette beyond a certain point, just for the sake of seeing how low you can get the colour-count down to. You do need some variation with this and putting green into the skirt could just make everything a bit too samely.. Also I think it was a good idea to keep the peachi-ness to the skin victor, unless you're trying to keep to a restricted palette feel free to make subtle colour choices to further this character. But always look out whether you're just wasting colours where they're so close anyway, when neither one is making a massive difference in anyway it's just easier to meet in the middle of the two and use the single colour.

I think you're edit has lost the right level of contrast victor's had tocky  :B

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 08:39:59 pm

this version is superior.  Its cleaner and sexier.  Terley's edit and the Terley inspired edit make her look like she was deformed at birth and has a half based-in face with a giant welt where her other eye should be.  Shes become even more top-heavy with strange muscleman/ape boobs.  If the folds in the skirt were done in a more realistic manner it might be ok but I'm tempted to think that even there the original was better as there is no need for detail in the skirt it just distracts from the focus - her face (and tits). 

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:17:04 pm
thanks locrian basically my edit is bollocks, and I've lead tehwexxl0rz in the wrong direction by suggesting not to pillowshade and clean up his palette. Thanks for being so in depth about that.

Is it really a good idea just because it's a woman to try and automatically think, ok lets draw all focus onto the tits and cute face, and make a half-assed atempt at detailing anything else (afterall its a female sprite and no one'll notice).

How about adding a suggestion or comment without putting down everyone else's efforts to help  :(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 09:21:40 pm
I think your edit fails on the face because it alters the style (watch out, I'm saying this in a very careful manner because it's a loaded counter-crit usually) in that the new style is not discernible. I don't see a nose, the features are muddled, they don't read.

It fails on the skirt because the gradient (whereas I'd do it with a different manner, not dithering) towards darkness shapes straight-ahead legs, whereas your edit makes her seem as if she's squatting, which isn't good.

I support your palette optimization (though I think the skirt should stay dark blue, not merge with the green) and the de-selouting where appropriate. Even when an edit isn't better than the original, everybody learns from them and talking about them and comparing them. There's no effort wasted when you try to help someone.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:11:27 pm
It's going nice but there's still a lot of stuff lacking.
Right side (our right) of the face remains heavily unfinished. You could place the whole other eye in there if you wanted. As it is now, it just looks 'bluffed'. Be wary of cheating on yourself this way. Also, boots seem lit form the right (our right), and everything else is lit from above. Furthermore, left (our left) arm is in an unnatural position. Next, the wrist of the other arm is centered with the forearm. Look at your own arm and you will see what i mean.
If you need an edit to make it clear, let me know.
i

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 01:08:16 am
sorry if my frankness and sense of humor upset you Terley.  I don't disagree with color optimization, so you didn't do all bad.   :y: :P

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 01:23:58 am
It's going nice but there's still a lot of stuff lacking.
Right side (our right) of the face remains heavily unfinished. You could place the whole other eye in there if you wanted. As it is now, it just looks 'bluffed'. Be wary of cheating on yourself this way. Also, boots seem lit form the right (our right), and everything else is lit from above. Furthermore, left (our left) arm is in an unnatural position. Next, the wrist of the other arm is centered with the forearm. Look at your own arm and you will see what i mean.
If you need an edit to make it clear, let me know.
You are right about the boots, I just haven't gotten around to fixing them yet (now that I've better defined my light source). Not suuuure I understand how you think I could make the face better....? I don't think the whole other eye should be visible at the angle she's facing. I actually have edited that right wrist slightly already, but I think I like the left arm. Even if it is unnatural, I'm letting it slide for the sake of style.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 04:23:53 am
But maybe it's not the best idea to restrict the palette beyond a certain point, just for the sake of seeing how low you can get the colour-count down to (...) I think you're edit has lost the right level of contrast victor's had tocky

I wasn't reccommending any actual merging of the palletes. Isn't it true that, as far as the machine's concerned, if you're using more than 8 colours, you might as well be using 16? So unless you cut out half the colours, there's no advantage memoriwise. It's just nitpickery.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 04:37:44 am
Doesn't each power of 2 use up less space then the following one?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 05:53:45 am
Not really, or at least, it's misleading to say so. Every time you increase the colour depth you're using more space - an extra bit for every pixel in every image, each time.

However, as the amount of space you use increases linearly, the number of colours you can use goes up exponentially:

1 bit: 2 colours
2 bit: 4 colours
3 bit: 8 colours...

Basically, the difference between two colours and four colours is the same increase in memory as the difference between 32 and 64, and so on for larger powers of two.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:01:15 am by tocky »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 05:59:57 am
And uh... those are all powers of two. 4 bit would be 16, yeh? then 5 bit is 32?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 06:09:11 am
EDIT: huh, I think I read you wrong. I must've read "previous", not "following". So disregard anything I said that sounded stupid. What I mean to say is that 11 colours, or 13, or whatever, uses four bits, same as using 16 would.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:49:07 am by tocky »

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 11:27:43 am
I'm not saying you should make the other eye visible. What I'm saying is that a large portion of the face is covered with arbitrary dithering that doesn't add any detail or shape to the face. Maybe it's just me, but I really can't tell what's supposed to be going on there.
i

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 06:39:10 am
Finally getting somewhere with the skirt! :D

Offline senile

• View Profile
    • Senile Team

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 12:06:36 pm
I found a neat Capcom sprite (...)

I may be flogging a dead horse here, but that is so not a Capcom sprite. It oozes SNK style.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 11:25:04 pm
i like the edit labbeled new (?)
I would add to it a bit of contrast to the hair
but use more highlights in it and less on the rest of her body.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 01:27:15 am
Edit! Mainly just tweaked some shading.... I like the torso better now.

>>>>

I think I'm pretty much ready to call this finished! Unless anyone sees any SCREAMING flaws I'm failing to notice....?

Ack, of course now that I've said that, I'm finding little things I dislike all over the place. I need to get rid of some AA on the neckline. Also, some shadows could be cleaned up......
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:31:15 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 08:53:44 am
Made a few choice edits. The hand, skirt, and a few other lil' things.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:47 am
hello, I have critique for you.

First of all, it's a very nice sprite, it has character! And a good color selection I didn't mess with very much.

I'd like you to consider what you're gaining from using selout. Here is your sprite over a dark background and a light background, tell me if you think the gains from the dark meshing outweigh the damage of it over a lighter environ

I think you could stand to lose the selout. Then I did a lot of minor edits here and there which would take an age to type out and I'm really really tired and should sleep. What I would suggest you do is take my version and put it side to side to yours in your editing program and move the colors around and see where I've reused colors or added colors or changed huges from yours to mine. If the reason for doing something isn't readily apparent, ask me and I'll tell  you why I did what I did.

Offline Aiko

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 11:48:00 am
I just tried striking the pose in Helm's edit and it really didn't feel great; not a pose anyone would strike naturally imo. I don't think her left leg needs moving any.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 02:23:10 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Helm moved the feet cause her knees are apparently bent inwards under that skirt.
i

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:58 pm
In Helm's edit it seems as though the skirt is too flat, and I'm not sure if the skirt should be that reflective of light - it looks a bit like plastic. I like Helm's upper body and I Am Uh's lower body.  :)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 05:23:38 am
Update!

>>>>>

The skirt still needs work..... [Blech, I think I made it worse.... the skirt I mean! ;)]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:27:00 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 10:15:30 pm
You actually made it better.  :)

I like the tiny bit of saturation you added.

The outstretched hand still doesn't look right. It's because all the fingers are the same length, when they really shouldn't be.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:10 pm
You actually made it better.  :)

I like the tiny bit of saturation you added.

The outstretched hand still doesn't look right. It's because all the fingers are the same length, when they really shouldn't be.

Thanks! I like the new pallet a lot better. I was really just referring to the skirt... what with the massive highlight blob.... *clarified*

Hmm.... I like the hand in general, but I know you're right. I'll see what I can do....

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 12:40:07 am
Update!

Hand is less like a spatula. :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:36:18 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 12:07:00 am
UPDATE! So I decided this wasn't finished after all....

>>>

Changed the hair, changed the skirt, got rid of some selout, fixed the hand, edited the boots, and made her legs one pixel shorter.

The highlights on the skirt are still a MESS though, and I can't for the life of me make them look decent. :(

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 08:22:54 am
I took a crack at the dress:

I think your light blue is a little too contrasted with the next darker blue. Its hard to add highlights without making it look too shiny.

I think you should pay attention to helm's edit, he did a great job with the colors IMO, though I don't care much for what he did to her left foot.

A couple other critiques...

1. You're brutal with the darker shades outlining just about everything. It works on her hair, but with the boots it makes them look too rounded. Same with the dress and chest.

2. Her left hand is too far toward her midsection to be resting on her hip ( which I guess is what it is doing? ).

3. The boots look like stool legs, they need to be tweaked so they have more perspective.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:35:06 am by EvilEye »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 11:33:16 am
Hi!

This is a really messed up pixelart from all the edits! way to many unnecessary colours and to much highlights...
especially the skin. I mean, if you take a look on your own skin, its not shining like you have sunoil all over your body(normally)
If you take away much of the highlights it helps to get the small details to look sharper, you get better shading and more
contrasts. I made a small edit to show you what i mean:

Old: Edit:

I changed the colours, I shortened her skirt a little cos I think she looks more like a farmergirl then a prettygirl  ;D
But most of all i got rid of the messed up a.a and highlights to give her a more cleaner look.

Hope its of any use!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:56:28 am by coffee »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 12:09:49 pm
dude what is it with you and terrible selout!!

i like your edit, but those broken black outlines just look awful.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 12:41:38 pm

I am sorry I troubled you. My intentions were good...
But I cant remember the last time people had black outlines

This is just for you Feron  :y: ;)

I hope you are pleased  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:14:08 pm by coffee »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 04:57:18 pm
Its still improperly outlined. In this laters version it just doenst look as nice as it could because the black adds a too high contrast, so reduce it to something brighter, even a darker grey would work.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 05:02:33 pm

Maybe you could've brought that a little more....subtle?

Coffee:
The thing is, what's usually done is either no outlines, or outlines that MATCH the colours of the sprite.
For example: On the brown hair you take a darker brown, and outline it with that. And at places where the hair becomes lighter, you can also use lighter outlines.
Here, take a look at the outlines of my tree:

It's kind of the idea to 'adapt' the outlines to the sprite.
(In case you didn't know; the forum has a built in zoom function. Just click on an image to zoom in on it.)

Edit:
Here's an edit on coffee's edit:
==>==>

I changed the outline, but also made the skin tones more vibrant.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:15:43 pm by Opacus »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 06:09:44 pm
What happened to the beautiful colors?? 

I decided to extend this post-

When you change the colors you are changing the style, its all whited out now and isn't as vibrant.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:16:49 pm by Mike »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 06:29:03 pm

Maybe you could've brought that a little more....subtle?

yes, i apologise, i am a very blunt person though.

opacus' edit is perhaps the best in terms of outlining, colors, however does look a little 2 dimensional.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 07:35:26 pm
Opacus

Hey! Thank you for you help! I haven't really tought about this before, you can never
stop learning. I will try out my new experiences as soon as possible!
Great edit by the way!

Feron

It's alright dude! The critics gets you goin'...
IT WILL ONLY MAKE ME STRONGER!  ;)

see you later guys!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 09:21:35 pm
What happened to the beautiful colors?? 

I decided to extend this post-

When you change the colors you are changing the style, its all whited out now and isn't as vibrant.

But it's also less hurtful to the eyes. The colours used in the current version are just a hit in the face with a sledgehammer.
They need to be toned down, atleast a bit.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008, 09:59:08 pm
The initial, first, version had less saturated colours. Don't jump back to these but keep it similar to that.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: May 10, 2008, 10:02:32 pm
I am not sure if this will work well, but the girl's hair was originally a more orange color and had a shine, so this is an edit of Opacus' edit:

EDIT: Ah, nevermind.  The very original version wasn't orange, but several versions were orangeish.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:14:04 pm by KittenMaster »

Offline Ar

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 03:13:42 pm

Edited.
Imho you make it too dark and contrast.
Every pixel is important.

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 01:46:31 am

Edited.
Imho you make it too dark and contrast.

The colorful one looks best in my opinion.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 08:24:56 pm

The colorful one looks best in my opinion.

I dont know why you say that, the pixels is totaly out of control.. In my own opinion, the colours that are used
are very important to get the right atmosphere and it dont matter how great your picture is in it selves if you use the wrong colours.
Therefore, I think the original picture don't give me any feelings at all, it's only hurting my eyes...

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 13, 2008, 07:14:29 pm
But that washed out version presents a very different style regardless if it is more readable.  I personally would not enjoy playing a game with the characters colors transparent-ish and washed out with some kind of gray overlay.  Not only that it looks like she is in a morning-ish dim white light on top of a snow covered mountain.  It presents a totally different feel.  And honestly when are you going to put that drawing on a black backdrop.  If you draw a character with those bright colors then wouldn't it be smarter to wash out all the backgrounds instead of the characters.  Even if you do that it still presents a different feel.

Since when was readability more important than the style we are trying to achieve.  Thank God the Wachowski brothers didn't wash out the colors in Speed Racer otherwise it would've been way less appealing.  I don't know what else to say other than why not invent instead of following some rule someone made up.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:18 pm
There needs to be a happy medium.  Ar's edit looks like it would only look good on the GBA hardware (not emulated), and the old version is a little too saturated and contrasted.

I would go for a vibrant look, but within reason.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 07:29:10 am
Update:

Hoping I found that happy medium!

Thanks a bunch, EvilEye, for the skirt edit; I found it very helpful! Also, thanks Mike for defending my style. :)

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Girl (Update! 5/15)

Reply #57 on: May 16, 2008, 06:29:27 pm
Hey no problem, I love the colors you used.  Keep up the good work!!