AuthorTopic: Another Pixel-Art hosting site?  (Read 4346 times)

Offline ibito

• View Profile

Another Pixel-Art hosting site?

on: March 03, 2008, 10:56:38 pm
Hi there, first of all, I want you to know that I'm not an english native speaker, so try to understand what I'm about to tell you... you may correct me if you want, so I can speak/write better.
I'm new in this forum and probably most people will flame me because of my ideas, I currently have one domain name (yes... ibito.net). As I'm a PHP programmer, I'd like to offer you some space of my hosting (too much for me, 100 GB), and I want to practice more with PHP, something that has nothing to do with my current job (PHP programming aimed to education).

I'm offering my skills and space to this community because I'm also an amateur videogame programmer, and I always see your sprites / pixelations and reminds me old games I played when child and want to make a game with your graphics style (I haven't done any game yet, so don't worry about picture stealing  :P).

So if some of you trust me, please give me a list of which features do you want in the software I want to make.
Will you be annoyed of some ads I'd put on the site?

This is a 100% serious thread, I'm not joking or trying to spend your time.

Thank you for your time reading this post.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Another Pixel-Art hosting site?

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:50 am
I have yet to see a site dedicated solely to hosting Pixel Art. This could be a big hit if it's done right, as I'm fed up with photobucket, it doesn't load half of the time.

----------------------------

Some features that would be nice:
  • Easily remembered Album addresses. For instance, www.images.ibito.net/user. Many sites have hard to remember addresses due to multiple servers and so on.
  • Organization. The ability to organize your work into various folders is a plus. Perhaps you would be allowed to set an icon for each folder, making it more recognizable and efficient on the user-end?
  • Small filesize limitation. This isn't so much a user feature as it is helping you to not run out of hosting. It could possibly help a newbie realize he shouldn't have saved a file in a specific format, because another is smaller.
  • High dimensional limit. This would help people storing things such as tilesets, which often are extremely tall but not very wide, on your site. Note that the low filesize prohibits users from hosting their crazy-shiny-anime wallpaper.
----------------------------

I wouldn't mind ads, personally, as I feel that they are necessary to make it worthwhile for you, and to also purchase things such as more server space.

I'm looking foreward to seeing where this goes, I'll definitely tell all of my spriting friends about the site if you get it off the ground.

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:12:06 am
sorry, but doesn't Imageshack already allows you to do such things?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:59:43 pm
I have yet to see a site dedicated solely to hosting Pixel Art. This could be a big hit if it's done right, as I'm fed up with photobucket, it doesn't load half of the time.

what about this:  http://imagehost.ensellitis.com/login.php

also, what about pixeljoint?

Offline ibito

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:32:41 pm
So, you are saying that you don't need another image hosting site?
I was thinking in a list of features you really want but the others sites don't have...

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:47:36 pm
If you are willing to share your space and feel like practicing some PHP, I'd say go ahead.
I bet someone will find it useful and appreciate it regardless the already existing competition.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:17:29 pm

what about this:  http://imagehost.ensellitis.com/login.php

also, what about pixeljoint?

As I said, I had yet to see a site dedicated to hosting Pixel Art. Now I have, thank you. :)

Pixeljoint is a tad like DeviantArt, in the sense where when you upload something, the whole world can view it.

I'm not too creative when it comes to site features, sorry.  ::) ibito did come here wanting ideas, though, so why not try and come up with some things never done before? I really can't think of anything that hasn't been done yet.