AuthorTopic: [WIP] Laughing Cavalier Sprite  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Jacky-Boy

• Roman Candle
    • View Profile

[WIP] Laughing Cavalier Sprite

on: February 27, 2008, 12:00:09 am
Hello all. I'm hoping to get this fella finished for the pixeljoint comp, but with deadlines looming that could be a problem.

But hell I'll give it my best shot. Here's the original painting by Frans Hals, if you don't recognise it;
and here's my rough WIP, which will have a simple 2 frame laughing animation.

I don't have a clue how I'm gonna do the various patterns and colours on his clothing, any suggestions would be very welcome
TAKE A KEY FOR COMING IN!

ConceptArt Sketchbook

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: [WIP] Laughing Cavalier Sprite

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:25:30 am
Interesting choice of subject ;)

There's a few minor likeness issues that are bothersome.  Compare the two's facial hair.  Your take's mustache and beard take much more space and stick out less when compared to that of the original--if I were you, I'd work on this a bit more.
Secondly, the hat--its shape is very awkward, especially when considering the shape of the original hat.  Maybe look into this more?

I'd say it is just a matter of knowing where to generalize and where not to when it comes to the complex patterns.  It will be a balancing problem :P  Show enough detail to imply the texture, but don't go overboard or it will take over all the attention....good luck is all the rest I can say :P

Good luck!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:20 am
Hey man.
Fun :)
Watch out for dropping contrast. those silken garments should be throwing off some brighter specular flash on the folds.

Offline Jacky-Boy

• Roman Candle
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:04:44 am
Just wanted to show a little more progress. Thanks for the suggestions guys ;D , I'm still trying to sort out his beard and hat,
but I felt like getting some animation down before moving onto the body.
Rest assured I still have a long way to go with the pallette, and the whole body in general.

I hope it's coming off as a laugh, I probably should have looked at a bit more reference,
but once I've animated the body rocking forward and back, it'll look a bit more believable.

ConceptArt Sketchbook

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:53:36 am
i don't think the references is laughing like that.  he's doing a haughty, snorty laugh as though to say he's better than you.  your characters is guffawing?  he's got a country drunk feel to him rather than a that of cavalier.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jacky-Boy

• Roman Candle
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:04:27 am
Yeah it's a pretty weird painting in that respect, I've never considered the character in it to be laughing at all, I've always seen it as more of a smirk.
But it's one of those odd cases where the title has become more famous than the piece itself; at least in my own experience.
With the animation I was hoping that people would be more inclined to see a cavalier who is obviously laughing and put 2 and 2 together,
as opposed to achieving a huge likeness to the painting itself which IMO just isn't as interesting as the title itself.
I hope it doesn't sound like i'm trying to worm my way out of a dodgy animation  :P
Because I am,
a bit
 :lol:

ConceptArt Sketchbook

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:38:51 pm
I like the idea of the Cavalier all-out guffawing, but your animation isn't quite as effective as it could be. When we laugh, there's variation from person to person but it usually involves pushing the air out of our lungs in short, powerful little bursts, creating the "HA!" sound. This affects the entire body, especially the chest and stomach - ever notice how a fat person's tummy jiggles when they laugh? So I would try putting the motion in his chest, stomach and shoulders, not his head.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Jacky-Boy

• Roman Candle
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:10:50 pm
Thanks Ben I'm a big fan of your character animations. Here's where I'm at now, I still haven't started any of the polish or detailing on the body,
but I'd rather get the animation looking half decent on him for the comp, than rush the detail stage now.

[edit]
Right I'm gonna post this mutha on PJ. It's no where near how I'd hoped, but for my first comp I don't think it's too bad.

Crits are still welcome, I might continue with this after the comp
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:09:41 pm by Jacky-Boy »

ConceptArt Sketchbook