AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!  (Read 129822 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

Reply #100 on: April 10, 2008, 01:18:18 am
It seems like every movie that i'd want to do already has a game made on it's namesake.

But i'm at the point now where i don't even give a damn, so i'm going to do the running man, simply because i want to do an NES version of that Dynamo character, megaman style.

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #101 on: April 14, 2008, 12:16:23 pm
Well,   After a month past the deadline I finally got around to finishing this off.  Reasonably pleased as it's my first pixel art but there's still plenty of things I wish I could've done.

I should point out that I didn't adhere to every machine rule - all sprites have no more than 3 colours plus alpha, (per 8x8) same with bg tiles  -  but little things like the 2x2 tile rule and amount of pallettes I didn't worry too much about.
Obviously I used references and traced that Tygra face.   For the logo and the face there's more than 3 colours, but under an assumption that there would be bg tiles with sprites overlaid. 

I may be tempted to make sure I can justify everything to machine rule but I've already played with this enough so for now I'll just post it up for crit etc.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:55:13 pm by L___E___T »
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #102 on: April 18, 2008, 09:34:27 am
ah, screw the deadline, the topic ain’t that dead. . . so, just for kicks! :)

trying that was a must! BAM!

pretty easy to guess, no?

Deluxe Paint font and a jolt of caffeine/nicotine used.

I didn’t give a damn for the limitations. . . there are 4 different bg palettes tho, made of 13/16 available colors, plus regular 8x8 square tiles/sprites. character palettes, however, consist of 5 (instead of 4) colors, including the transparent black. I’ve made a few alternate low-palette models, but these were my favorite. the next thing I kind of omitted (i.e. stopped controlling at some point) is the 16x16 block rule. . . oh, well, it could be right, but I didn’t feel like checking and screwing with it. counters/menus stuff wouldn’t run as well (1 mark equals 1 sprite and the goddamn ‘8 sprites per scanline’ thing), or if even, it’d prolly cause that terrible flickering effect. . .

c&c warmly welcome! pz!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:29:30 pm by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #103 on: April 18, 2008, 11:59:50 am
Fancy stuff Skurvy, tho that car... it... it hurts my eyes. The perspective does not match at all.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #104 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:58 pm
fanx and yeah, now I see. . . but there has to be Civic in this, so let it be as it is. :)
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #105 on: April 18, 2008, 01:47:07 pm
@ skurwy no real crits besides the perspective thing. I like the fact that tho the shading is very stylized it still seems to work well as a "game".. uh dunno if that made any sense. In any case, I like it very much :y:

can't guess the film tho?

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #106 on: April 18, 2008, 02:28:13 pm
fank you! what about the movie, I've packed the piece with some tips:

• "The Gold Watch" banner, the title of that one particular episode (the original movie is cut into few parallel parts),
  • there are *boxing gloves* used as a current weapon, it should tell you what the main guy can do for a living,
  • a *bat* was also used by the hero, as one of his weapons of choice, together with a chainsaw and a katana sword,
  • another one is that goddamn white 1980 Honda,
  • some zebra crossings,
  • and the "666" best score counter.

the main hero's name is Butch Coolidge then, that should ring a bell, go check Google if not,

hmm. . .

hmm. . .

YOU HAVEN'T SEEN *THAT* MOVIE YET!?!?!? watch it now, it's a real classic!

pz! :)

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #107 on: April 18, 2008, 03:01:06 pm
Hæhæ. yea ok, I've seen it, been a while tho. Nice to you've put such effort into the clues, and a shame it's wasted on someone clueless like me :D

@ L_E_T: I like the title and introscreens, got a real authentic NES look. There are some weird inner lining going on in tygra's face, for instance on the jaw. I suggest you get rid of it, and instead choose colors with higher contrast. In the ingame mockup, you need to pay more attention to the proportions of your sprite. Currently, he looks like a child on steroids.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #108 on: April 18, 2008, 03:41:55 pm
Quote from: vedsten
Nice to you've put such effort into the clues, and a shame it's wasted on someone clueless like me :D
no worries, no harm done! :)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #109 on: April 18, 2008, 03:49:13 pm
PULP FICTION!!!