AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!  (Read 129830 times)

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #7: Cinematendo!

Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 11:42:54 am
Thanks for the comments guys  :)

Yea, the colors didn't really turn out how i imagined. Initially i wanted to make it in cool greens and blues as this is how I remember the feel of the movie (wasn't the yellow/red/green thing for Amelie? I'm bot sure tho, cause this is pretty much just based on my memory, the references out there are very scarce). However, every time i tried to throw some green in, i didn't care for the look of it. Might give it another go tonight tho.

Edit: yea Gil, actually your right, Ron's hair does look kinda red in the few ref's i managed to scrape together, I'll fix tonight
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:44:57 am by vedsten »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #61 on: March 06, 2008, 05:35:06 pm
Youtube is your friend man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-j5pPt_Bc this trailer has an almost sidescroller view of things at 01:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9k9PDg4ja8&feature=related this one at 02:23.

Perhaps you could make the general ambience of the mockup based on a mix of these two views, and make things a little more bright for specifical parts of the mockup where you imitate one of those unweildy contraptions. Then shade the characters in the style more like the american shots you see in the movie.

Dont be so picky about color if you're trying to do a movie in NES restrictions. The NES cant possibly imitate the subtleties of the color ranges of a film, not only they have an infinitely wider pallete it also changes from shot to shot.
If you want to pick up something from the light, make it the placing of lightsoruces, the way they build the atmosphere.

Focus on the art direction
Try to pick up more from the unique things about the sets of the movie,  try to draw as many of those crazy big tubes and unweildly metal contraptions. Try to imitate the awkward poses and demeanors of the actors. I think that's your best bet.

PS:you are quite right about Amelie...specifically, they often filled the ambience with green and yellow to bring out the very strong reds they used. You saw a lot of greens but the point was really the red.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:52:15 pm by Conceit »

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: March 06, 2008, 07:57:42 pm
Thanks for the crit conciet :y:

I think you accidentally took the length of the movies (movie A is 01:12 long and movie B 02:23), so i don't really know were you're getting at with the first line. I'm sensing it's requires a major overhaul though, and honestly, I'm not gonna redo the basics. Anyhow, I'd still like to know what you meant so if you're up for it, I'd like getting the intended times for the videos.

On the color thing - I've been playing around for the last hour to see if i could squeeze some more colors in. Obviously i can't afford to be picky with a NES Palette, but I'm not gonna throw in more colors for the sake of colors. Right now It kinda feels like a major trade off - as soon as I mix it up a bit, it looks... well more colorful, but it has a major toll. All sense of ambiance goes down the drain, so although the coloring might be more in tune with the movie, the overall atmosphere isn't. Thats the conclusion I've drawn so far anyhow. Any edits proving me wrong would be very welcome  ;D

If you want to pick up something from the light, make it the placing of lightsoruces, the way they build the atmosphere.
I'm not getting this  ???

As for the art direction you're unfortunately right. Instead of just throwing together a random harbor scene i should've focused on specific elements and builded the scene around those. I'll go add some more wierd contraptions now. I'll prob. take the low road though, just adding some bigger tubes'n shit to the right most house as I'm not too happy with it anyway.

I'm sorry if I seem unwilling to change to much, but I spent a lot of time on this and I'm pretty fed up with it. I wanna get back to my generic zombie mockup :)
Thanks alot for the crit tho
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:00:18 pm by vedsten »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #63 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:09 pm
ha, dont worry about it...I know how it is. I was C&Cing more for the sake of C&Cing, what I C&C usually suggests the person does a total overhaul of things so I'm used to people not putting much of what I C&C into what they do  :blind: Doesnt matter, I try to say things that will be good for more than the specific case I'm C&Cing for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-j5pPt_Bc I meant 00:43
And I just found at 0:15 there's the shot of the other vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9k9PDg4ja8&feature=related
I meant
The shot in the other vid is clearer here at 1:37 :p
But 0:58 to 1:02 is good too if you think about it :p

I dont think you need to redo the whole thing, just put a couple of big old tubes sticking outta nowhere for no reason with some big bolts or something...put weird stuff in there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9k9PDg4ja8&feature=related put some of the weirdness of the huts in 01:42 into what you've got
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:54:35 pm by Conceit »

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: March 06, 2008, 10:49:43 pm
Mmm, those videos make me wanna watch it again.

Particularly like this one, and, I now get were you where going on the persp. thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-j5pPt_Bc I meant 00:43

Anyhow, mixed it up a bit.

/
OLD/NEW

Pretty much just added a few design elements where i saw fit. Also, small edits on sprites.

More input is welcome, but I'll probably leave it at this

Edit: ohh yea forgot to tell  that i dropped additional BG palettes due to aforementioned issues. Didn't touch the hair color either since I'd have to rearrange all the sprite palettes
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:18:10 pm by vedsten »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #65 on: March 07, 2008, 01:02:21 am
That looks very nice vedsten. I made a few edits, pretty rough stuff, introducing one new bg palette which just has one colour replaced.

The idea is basically to put the eye on where you can walk and such, make the area a bit easier to read instead of just blue. This is not CGA, you can have a few more than 4 colours for your background and in most cases you should as it would increas readability quite a bit in this case I think.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: March 07, 2008, 01:19:16 am
Mmm yea, i see were you are going, I'll def. give this a go tomorrow
I'm assuming that you haven't boosted the saturation on purpose. Looks like it's been defiled by the "save for web and devices" in PS  ;) (with my settings this is what happens anyway)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #67 on: March 07, 2008, 01:20:56 am
I switched the palette back to the one from Adam :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: March 07, 2008, 01:29:22 am
Shit  :yell:

So.. my settings in PS defiles pictures both on import and export.... i need to read up on color profiles  :mean:

Ohh well, will fix tommorow

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #69 on: March 07, 2008, 04:25:04 am
Always meant to see that movie. My wife worked at a video store for a long time, and I'd always think about watching it when I'd see it on the shelf. Just watched it today over netflix... waw. Really cool visuals in that movie.

I was trying to find more information on those fade regions. Because you could have it so that the entire screen was darker/greener/browner, but I couldn't find any examples of what it'd look like, or what games used it to check em out.

Maybe throw some green into the waterways there. Most of the reds on the nes are pretty intense, maybe substituting some of that brown in some areas can help? Some thoughts, anyway.

Gotta get back to my scene, now. >_<