AuthorTopic: MoRLOK pixel WIPs and mockups! Everybody wellcome ;) !  (Read 6769 times)

Offline _MoRLOK_

• View Profile

MoRLOK pixel WIPs and mockups! Everybody wellcome ;) !

on: February 27, 2008, 04:33:57 am

Hi, Pixelation! My first mockup! I will pixel more characters soon!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: MoRLOK pixel WIPs and mockups! Everybody wellcome ;) !

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:05:21 am
wow, i read your text way before the image loaded and i was kinda expecting expecting something crap to show up :P

this is really quite good.  i think that your palettes tend towards darkness, which will be great so long as the eye doesn't have a bright reference (the way it does on this forum with the rest of the interface up).  It will make your lights feel very bright which is always a +

I particularly like the edge treatment on the walls and tiles, the added highlights make them jump nicely while maintaining form.  It's a common trick but one you're used effectively.

if i had to say anything, it's say that the characters feel slightly blobby - making a clear difference between front and side will help you a lot on the long run.  Also, the color choices are very simple.  branching out a bit might lead you to color combinations which feel "greener" or "oranger" but in fact use less of these colors in the palette.

good luck and welcome to the forums!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:28:30 am
niiice. I have to say, these things have a sheer nostalgic value for me, they have just the same feel of the old-age TMNT sprites, only turned ISO.
May I ask, are you old enough to have grown with the turtles? I sure did love the stupid fuckers :p

The grittyness is also good, and somehow even though you did this in ISO it doesnt feel rigid, as most pixelers that try this projection angle tend to portray it...good...you already have a bit of a voice. nice.

I like your splinter the most, I cant touch the turltes either because I fear they might lose that nostalgic aspect....the soldiers though, their hips feel disjointed somehow, I think you should make them thinner and perhaps drag em to the left.

your overall shading seems a bit....disoriented I may say, how about you give us some kind of photograph or picture with an ambience and lighting you'd wish you could achieve? I bet we can do something to make the pallete and the shading on these buggers livelier if you do!

Offline _MoRLOK_

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:25:38 am

1 h! 'Speed' pixelart! My good friend's idea. Not finished.

Offline _MoRLOK_

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:59 pm

for pixeljoint!

Offline kmgtpezy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:46:22 am
I love your style.  ;D

Offline born2die

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:14:04 am
I love the ninja turtle mockup, especially the rat man sprite
the last one's colours seem a little washed out to me

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:15:15 am

hi this is to show what i would do with the colours you're using... they're just too dark and dull.  :ouch:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:57 am

hi this is to show what i would do with the colours you're using... they're just too dark and dull.  :ouch:

hmm i don't know about this.  There in a sewer, so i think the lighting style reflects this.  All the sprites are perfectley readable so i don't see the need for more saturation.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 05:08:20 am

first of all the front of the turtle looks very flat due to the straight line down his chest, break it up a little. Some dark gritty shadows will also help to create mood as seen under the arm in my edit. The elbows pull outwards to much. In general the piece looks really good... But i would say the colours definitely need some revamping use some shifts in hue to better portray how light actually acts in any environment.
Those are some of my most important points, now for the less important ones.
I also brought out the character a lit with a final highlight this pulls it from the background more allowing you to distinguish characters a lot more easily but it might not be necessary (I tend to go overboard with specular effects). the eyes seemed a little busy to me you could remove the pupil and go with the new cartoon look. There are a lot of areas where you should be more careful with the lighting, the headband can look more interesting and obvious with the highlight extending more.

I hope this is a little helpful. Good work so far hope to see more.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.