AuthorTopic: [WIP] A Real Work of Art (pixeljoiint challenge)  (Read 3259 times)

Offline PresidentLeever

• View Profile

[WIP] A Real Work of Art (pixeljoiint challenge)

on: February 26, 2008, 08:38:43 pm
Well I can't get into the pixeljoiint forum for some reason so I thought I'd post this here. I've nver worked on such a big piece (it is for me) before so I need to take a break.
C&C is appreciated! ;D But keep in mind the shading is very WIP.

Here's the reference:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/The_Elephant_Celebes.jpg
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:44:50 pm by PresidentLeever »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: [WIP] A Real Work of Art (pixeljoiint challenge)

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:46:12 am
A very interesting piece.  You're coming right along--the lighting is very spot on compared to the original.
Small but crucial thing...  :sry: and it will probably disappoint you: your elephant is leaning much too far compared to the elephant in the original.  It almost feels like he's going to tip over in yours :P.  I'd say that you should get him balanced right before you go any further, or you'll be very frustrated later on, trying to balance him with everything else in the way.  Good luck!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:44:12 am
Thats pretty imaginative. I dont like the cast shadow in the original tho, and would be changing th light source if it were my piece. Btw, I had trouble getting into pixeljoints joints forum too, untill I switched browsers. Give some others a shot maybe.

Offline PresidentLeever

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:07:40 am
A very interesting piece.  You're coming right along--the lighting is very spot on compared to the original.
Small but crucial thing...  :sry: and it will probably disappoint you: your elephant is leaning much too far compared to the elephant in the original.  It almost feels like he's going to tip over in yours :P.  I'd say that you should get him balanced right before you go any further, or you'll be very frustrated later on, trying to balance him with everything else in the way.  Good luck!

Thanks, and yes I'm aware of the leaning thing since I drew the lineart actually, but my reasoning is that the snout is big enough to make it tip over to the other side if it isn't leaning backwards and so I did it like this :) Also, to make the challenge I will have to animate it so I'm planning to do a walking, idle or attack animation for it. Maybe some parallax scrolling for the background too. I have a lot of work ahead of me :P

Salvage: I agree that the light source looks odd in the original but then again it is a surrealistic painting :) Thanks for the tip.