AuthorTopic: 8bit Pixel Art  (Read 11369 times)

Offline zephiel87

• View Profile
    • ZephPixel.com

8bit Pixel Art

on: February 23, 2008, 08:10:32 am
Just realized I joined months ago, and have posted almost none of my pixel art. Perhaps it's time to change that.

Anyway, my most recent work:

yeah, I know there's some perspective issues, but overall I think I did a decent job.

yosh64

Re: 8bit Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:45:07 am
hey

I just wanted to say that I really like it :).

Anyhows I have no advise or anything yet.

cya

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:49:39 pm
Overall very nice. Fun concept.

You have quite a few colours which are not really neccessary as well as some aa which does not really work, colourwise. Esp. the green on the mountains and on the nose of 8bit Mario.
The 45 degree lines on the Mountains technically do not really need AA, just makes them blurrier.

The pipe in the shadow behind the big Mario would not have a light and a dark side because it is completely in shadow, and shadows from just one lightsource can not multiply.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:24:13 am
why shouldnt the pipe in the darkness have shading? it is not being hit by the main lightsource (which in the broad daylight would be the sun) but it would certainly be affected by the radiosity of the sky, which would only make the shading on it more diffuse and far darker.

I must say the image is quite striking..somehow the thought of a 3d mario1 sprite made me hungry for a mario shaped cookie C_c those boots look chocolaty :p. I feel like stomping in the town and eating everything up.

I'm more concerned about the volume and clarity of the real mario. You may refuse to give perspective to the background, but you MUST bring the same kind of volume the statue has to the real mario, give it perspective and make the lighting on it follow the lightsource established on the statue. The light is clearly hitting the top of the statue MUCH more than the side, as the jump in contrast from the top to the side is QUITE a bit, the highlights on mario should hit him in the same direction and with the same contrast....but all we really see is the highlights loosely scattered toward the left of the figure.

I also noticed that mario is wearing a red shirt of the SAME red as the statue, why is the red tone you used for the side of the statue so sparse for mario? it should hit him a lot more, and you probably should add another red for the top, to replicate the lighting of the statue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:28:19 am by Conceit »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:00 pm
why shouldnt the pipe in the darkness have shading? it is not being hit by the main lightsource (which in the broad daylight would be the sun) but it would certainly be affected by the radiosity of the sky, which would only make the shading on it more diffuse and far darker

It looks like the pipe is in the shadow cast by the big Mario, hence it would not be lighter on the front and darker in the back as it is in shadow entirely and does not recieve direct light.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:32:24 pm

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:36:08 pm
in that model the shadow doesn't cover the pipe, as the shadow in zephiels piece does.
untz untz untz?

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:40:10 pm
no, my point actually. compare the angle on the cylinder shadow on the render and the pixel, reasonable match, the mario model should not shade the back pipe, at least completely.
As for Ptoings crit, he's correct, in a general sense. You'd have to take in to account bounce-light and other messy things though. But shadows ona whole do not multiply. They do scatter though.

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:09:56 pm
Wow neat concept. What I find odd is the wooden fence to the right, it looks higher than the one to the right.

Offline zephiel87

• View Profile
    • ZephPixel.com

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:35:54 pm
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Conceit is right that the pipe would have at least a little shading, the sun can't possibly hit a scene from exactly one point. But I probably made it too noticeable.

I'll work on fixing up the shading on Mario and the other foreground elements.