AuthorTopic: Ocarina of Time sprites [WIP]  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Ocarina of Time sprites [WIP]

on: March 05, 2008, 08:58:11 pm
Started doing Ocarina of Time sprites a few years ago, and it's become a yearly practice sessions ever since.

Today's character is adult Link. I'll try to get around to doing all of the characters.
EDIT: EDIT:

Zora/Owl
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:02:45 pm by Rave »
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Ocarina of Time sprites [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:39:08 pm
The WIP looks really nice. I'd have to see the rest colored to make an observation on whether or not the shading is alright.  ;D

He looks disproportionately short for his realistic head, though, almost like a caricature. His legs and arms are a bit misshapen as well.

Offline Fingerfoods

• View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:41:29 pm
Should have waited for that before coloring. I'm still thinking along the lines of 'sprite' and not 'art', unfortunately, and I spent all my time on his head before fitting it with a body.

Gonna do a young Link to go with him after he's fixed.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:20:38 pm
He has no chin.  :D

I really love how you colored him, especially parts like the belt. Only two colors, but it looks so 3D. The head looks like it's from another perspective as the body. Shade the hilt!

It looks great.  :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:25:47 pm
i like the resolute look on link, they usually give him such a generic DBZish look to his eyes.

is this your first time doing something this big? seems so, looks like you are still focused on doing things of a smaller size and as a result the overall shape of the sprite isnt clear, while there's a bunch of confusing details on him.

I'd reccomend you try grabbing a slightly big brush and shade him with it, only basic strokes. THEN detail him back in...see how that works. remember to try to think of the basic shapes and not of the details.

Offline Fingerfoods

• View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:50:14 pm
Did some general tweaking. His legs are longer now, but he's still cartoony. I hate to ladle blame, but my reference artwork isn't so realistic either. This new version (right) has a much more OoT-faithful pallet now, I believe. Also, I started on eyes for the other characters. See if you can guess some of them. :D
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 06:57:23 pm
That's an interesting way to start a drawing (the little disconnected eyes), Rave  :)

Anyway, what angle is this supposed to be at? Looked like it's pretty much isometric when the legs were foreshortened, but now it looks like a bastard child of iso and straight ahead.
Maybe instead of elongating the legs you make the head at more of a downward angle, you know? Here's an edit :crazy:

Also, uh, top eyes are the bodyguard lady, I think? And uh, bottom middle are the owl. That's all I got :-[
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Fingerfoods

• View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:49 pm
That's an interesting way to start a drawing (the little disconnected eyes), Rave  :)

Interesting as in not advisable or as in interesting? :P

Your advice is good, but your edit looks very wrong to me. Link's head is more of an above view, then his body switches to front on, then his legs are from above again. :-\ I improvised a little.

Now he's at somewhat overhead view. I think it's consistent enough for me to move on to new characters. Speak any new crits you might have for him, of course.

Started on a Zora and the owl. I don't like the Zora's face head-on, so I added a three-quarters view below it.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com