AuthorTopic: [WIP] 16-color mockups!  (Read 13374 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: [WIP] 16-color mockups!

Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:30 am
Flabbergastingly good.

I really don't think the water works with the new backdrop for the mud'n'bones level. Water worked well with the old one but it seems to break too strongly from the perspective introduced in the new one.
Maybe if you flattened out the perspective some it'd work better.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 01:18:03 pm
The tiles on that new desert one looks a tad strange, like a top-down texture plastered on a side-view tiles. The moon background pops out a tad too much considering it's.. well a background.
Other than that these are ALL kinds of awesome ~ espc. that new swamp bg.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 02:31:50 pm
awesome work
I would fix the water on this one

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 08:48:34 pm
Would you be going for some animations now.
You may need to do some more work no the desert besides that but as often there isn't really much to say about what you made as it is just wonderful.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:36 pm
Wow, thanks a lot, you guys! :D

Water worked well with the old one but it seems to break too strongly from the perspective introduced in the new one.
Maybe if you flattened out the perspective some it'd work better.
Huh, I thought drawing the ground sloping towards the water would work, but I can see how that might be confusing.

Does removing the foreground help, or do I need to do something more drastic?

The tiles on that new desert one looks a tad strange, like a top-down texture plastered on a side-view tiles.
Yeah, I'll try coming up with something more horizontal. I think the snow tiles also need work since they have those horizontal bands of blue in them.

The moon background pops out a tad too much considering it's.. well a background.
I think I'll stick with mostly 4 color backgrounds from now on. Do you think I should tone down the use of stars in the first one, too?

I would fix the water on this one
Fix how, exactly?

Would you be going for some animations now.
You may need to do some more work no the desert besides that but as often there isn't really much to say about what you made as it is just wonderful.
I have animated most of the smaller enemies, just need to make them into gifs. They're very simple, with just two frames for walking and another two for dying. Most of the bigger bosses use 3 frames, so it's still not a lot. I'm still working on most of the bigger ones, but I have a few that I think I'm done with.

Ye shoppe.

Various miniboss animations. I think the spider's legs still need work.

Boss death animations. :D

Power-ups and such.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 12:48:49 am
Very nice  :y:

For the skeleton miniboss - can you do more to make it look less like a two frame animation while only using 3 frames. With no restrictions, I'd suggest lifting the foot more as it comes forward and having the feet slightly offset from each other when they are fully forward (because you are viewing him from an angle). My brain mustn't've been working - great 3 frame anim, I was thinking you had 4 frames to play with for some reason.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:03:08 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 07:16:32 am

yosh64

Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:03 am
hey

Sorry I haven't read much of the posts so far.

Anyhows I really like them all, and everything about them, especially the colors :).

I will have to have a closer look later, as I think I could learn lots from this :).

cyas