AuthorTopic: Run, ninja! (Update with more animations)  (Read 10691 times)

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Re: Run, ninja! (Update with more animations)

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 04:11:12 pm
The revisions based on crab's suggestions to your running ninja have worked out great. It looks much better now. The rigid upper body thing can work sometimes, but it usually has kind of a Hanna Barbera feel to it.  :-\

As for your new chica... adding a little movement in the ponytail would go a long way in all of your protaganist's animations.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 03:28:04 pm
Fist to Face Style!!

No, seriously, your protagonist punches at a height about the same as where the ninja's heads get up to?? It's kind of amusing.. I don't know if that's your intended result, but will there be ninja brains splattered on the floor or just a nice clean knockdown?

Your ninja is improved. How about lighten up the blade color for the Ninja?

Your protagonist needs a better walk cycle. First, try getting her upper body to twist left and right in accordance with the arm movement... the position of the legs in the frames is too similar to one another, so it looks kind of choppy. I'm sure someone better than I with animation could show how to do it right. The best thing to do is get some examples. (And my host is down at the moment)

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 04:04:36 pm
i think the ninja should be in a more aggressive stance when running, meaning chest forward, left hand stretched out in front of him, the arm with the sword should be behind about the shoulder.  It's kinda hard trying to describe what i'm thinking about it right now, but if you've ever watched a anime with ninja's and stuff they usually run really forward with their legs pushing, instead of just running normally
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 04:30:20 pm
Isn't the first rule of being a ninja never run with your sword out?
I mean if I was carrying a large blade and running ready to strike it would be facing the other way so I could lunge and slash.  Now he looks like hes worried about the birthday cake he got for his son and is now running to the store to get some chips.  As for the other person she looks like those self Sims people create, all photo detail on the head but then the body looks cartoon.  Two final thoughts in the punch animation add a frame from the punch back to idle it can be a repeat frame.  Plus the jumping animation add a frame of recovery after the jump.  A normal person would never go from jump to land to straight back up ready to jump.  Like push he fist against the ground to push herself up or something.

Yeargh and a Yo Ho Ho!
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 08:28:55 pm
Thanks for the all critique, guys.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to update the animations now that school has started, but I will take all your critiques in consideration once I do find the time. 

I'm not sure about adding another frame at the end for the jump.  It already has too many frames, I think(particularly at the beginning) , and if I add too many it might force the gameplay into awkwardness.  Same with the punching frame... but I'm not sure.  I agree that the walking frame needs a lot of work, however.

Brotherinwar - How does the girl look photorealistic on the head?  Because she doesn't have a face?  I doesn't seem to me that her body is much more cartoony than her head.

As for the punching the ninja in the face, that was kinda unintentional.  I made the ninja shorter than intended.

EDIT: Some minor updates, hurt frame, and new enemy.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 11:23:24 pm by Darien »