AuthorTopic: Pineapple Fighter [wip]  (Read 4115 times)

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Pineapple Fighter [wip]

on: February 21, 2008, 08:54:39 am
Hello Pixelation!!  :o

This was originally for a challenge at Pixel Joint...and I've recently tried to revamp it...but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it...

Original challenge entry:

Recent edits:

Current version...decided to start redoing the hair again...this time I've tried giving him a pinehawk...not sure if it's working though  :-\ :

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Pineapple Fighter [wip]

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:48:48 pm
The pose is pretty stiff, are you working from something you had in mind specifically. It'd be better if you were working from a couple of images to help you with this, muscles seem made and just off the top of your head. Id revert back a few steps to general shaping everything where you've got basic levels in there, loosen up a bit and slowly mould your character making sure you have reasons for why you shape something a certain way. dithering on the head doesn't do the pineapple any favours, just google a pineapple, its got a very distinguishable pattern, don't just concentrate on the leafy bit because as your doing you can always alter that into a hairstyle of sorts.

You've made some nice improvements from the first but there are some things that can still be improved on.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:24 pm
ahahahahah his arms look like legs  :'(

but aside from that I'm liking the first one alot (its okay to make mistakes it just reminded me of the simpsons where Dr. Nick mucked them up during an operation). To fix the problem, just make his arms shorter, have some fingers and thumbs, also his right shin should be longer, redo the shading of hair like second one.

About second one, its hue shifting taken too far imo. What would produce that? Purple sky, yellow light, pink skin and pants. However perhaps a little hue shifting to blue would improve the first one (the sky is blue, acts like a light source from all directions).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:33:04 am

I edited your character showing better arms. Currently your character has no issues with centre of mass.  However I thought it would be a good chance to discuss it and in future I can refer back to this post.

CENTRE OF MASS

Why do we need to know about it? Sometimes people draw pictures of people that look like they will fall over. Placing the centre of mass between the feet will stop this problem.

What is it? Imagine you were to cut a person into a bunch of lego sized pieces. Each piece could have a different mass depending on the material. The centre of mass is an average of the pieces that takes into account their individual position and mass.

In A, the centre of mass is in the middle of the dumbbell.

In B, one side is missing. Now, because there is more mass on the left, the centre of mass is closer to the left.

The gravity force acts through the centre of mass. C kinda shows this, imagine you threw the dumbbell. The centre of mass takes the same path as a ball (with same mass) thrown the same way.

D is a glass. The centre of mass is in the centre  :D because the glass is symmetrical.

In E we have tipped the glass slightly. It will fall back to its original position. Try this. This is because the gravity force (which is shown by the arrow pointing down) is to the left of the normal force (arrow pointing up). The normal force is due to table pushing the glass up (you don’t fall through your chair right now because of the force we call the normal force).

In F, now the gravitational force is to the right. Oh no, it tips over.  :(

So, in H, the centre of mass is to the left of the normal force and he will tip. I is an attempt to have a character well balanced. By leaning to his left and having his left arm out, he has shifted his centre of mass to the left. Also, by bending down a bit, the centre of mass is shifted down (this reduces the turning effect). He can easily adjust the com by adjusting his arms if he begins to tip.

Moral of story: guess where centre of mass is, make sure it not to one side of the normal force. For people standing on both feet, this means have the centre of mass between the two feet.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:19:52 pm
Hi, looks great, reminds me of Capcom's Final Fight, the pine-hawk looks like a mohawk, but in my opinion, the pineapple colouring is a bit off, or his skin colouring is too similar to the pineapple, unless his skin is made of pineapple too but I'm reading his skin as regular skin...
later!