AuthorTopic: Strategy SET - [WIP]  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Strategy SET - [WIP]

on: February 21, 2008, 07:48:21 am
Currently im working on a strategy defence game, but a little original than the most of them -
i made few GFx, and im not sure what could be improved

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Re: Strategy SET - [WIP]

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 03:14:49 pm
Nice, but... how on the earth those wood bars stick on the ground? I mean, a li'l wind and they're all down.
When you sprite, and when you draw also, you must be creative and design. Check in Google wooden fortresses and you'll find something that can help you out. I would add at least some horizontal wooden bars and maybe make that one every 9 is broken or something. Try adding some flags to it
From the 3 trees i like the 2nd one more.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:33:37 pm
I like the style of the wooden fence, however, the trees completely miss the same style. Therefore, they the fence together with the tree will look akward.

The wooden fence is nice, however, I suggest letting some of them look like they go into the ground.

The trees are very unrealstic. Trees rarelly ever crop up like that without any holes showing whatsoever. I suggest looking at some pictures of trees.
Also, they look rather more like a beveled square then spherical shaded. Especially the shading on the middle tree reminds more of a beveled square.
Think of the trees as circles. And shade them like so:

The underside is not the darkest because light beams bounce of against the ground, back on the underside of the tree creating a light spot there.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:36:40 am
The trees are very unrealstic. Trees rarelly ever crop up like that without any holes showing whatsoever.

d'accord, here is a quick sketch of a tree from the side:

leaves emerge in bundles, not as a unified form.  When they are perfectly rounded it is probably through pruning and breeding.

The underside is not the darkest because light beams bounce of against the ground, back on the underside of the tree creating a light spot there.

what's with everyone taking this too far today?  the reflection of grass onto leaves is barely noticed.  the interior is always the darkest because of reflected light (from the sky mostly), but of the outer leaves, the underside is always dark does not usually demonstrate the sort of reflection seen on polished surfaces.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:56:41 am
Because I love trees too!

Here are a few more examples of trees. The first one displays how leaf patches can be constructed similar to a bunch of orbs. Of course it also displays that a bunch of orbs do not make up a tree. The idea is to block out bunches of leaves and then fill those in with a more leafy texture. Which just so happens to be seemingly random placed splotches.

The last two are just examples of trees that are finished. It is important to structure a tree like a tree because you'll get more tree-like results.

I gotta say that I absolutely love the colors you picked for your tree sketch Adarias.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:58:12 am by Doppleganger »

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:37:19 am
uhh thanks for the help, i really love your trees.
i just learned a lot from this examples, thanks very much mates :D

im gonna do something and probably post it here again