AuthorTopic: sprite, scenery help  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: sprite, scenery help

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:58 am
My, it's been a while.
Many criticisms observed:

Originals vs. Edits

-
I don't think I posted the original here originally. but seeing as  it was pretty much crap, Ii started over from scratch, recycling only the head. just about everything I could have done wrong, was done wrong. but after lurking here for a little while...  :crazy:

next up:

-
It should be obvious.

More:

-
shows a little bit of back. crouching position still needs a bit of tweaking, but i show more of the back, move the shield arm.

- and subsequently
too many to name. I'm aware of the legwork that needs to be done in the second one.

I know there's still room for improvement, C&C to your hearts content, pleeeez.

For whatever reason theyy only time properly (for me at least) in firefox. in opera and IE they animate very slowly and uniformly, killing the rhythm outright.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:02:22 am by Corsair »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:36:35 am
Those look alot better in firefox - well done  :y: With his running animation, his right arm seems a bit strange - like it has three bones instead of two.  What I mean is there should be a straight line from the wrist to the elbow. Its pretty tiny so I could be interpreting it wrong but just make sure you are okay with how it looks.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:45:07 am
The edits are all very good and just on the right track.

for the attacks:

-I think on the ducking one you made a little too much smoothing on his stabbing, make the movement more sudden (so that the motion blur is justified), and leave a frame that reaches further than the final pose, it gives a sense of power and reality to the movement.
-on the one where he steps forward, let him complete the step before he makes the slash. were you to make a slash in the middle of your step you'd be a lot more likely to lose balance and flail around without force.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 06:35:30 am
Dicked around with a few things in the crouching attack.

You suggested, that i add an extra frame after the swing finishes -So I did and i like what that did to it. I also changed the "build up" frames significantly. and a few other minor details (the more pronounced hair flippage, made his head bob on different frames so it's better synced.)

I might have one more major revision of that one before i'll be mostly satisfied with it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 07:27:38 am
I really really like your cut trough the bullshit aproach. You decided to just design the sprites in an animateable way so you could animate them to your best capacity and you are doing a top notch job, I think you didnt exactly get my meaning with the attack tho, I intented to say you cut out some motion blur frames to make room for that extra frame, I didnt mean for you to actually extend the time of the attack.

it should be easy enough to illustrate it so wait until I post an edit (you can use it if you want)

Keep working on those animation skills, and take yourself seriously artistically! go and learn from the best available to you in all other aspects of art

This post was uncharacteristically somber for an encouraging post so now allow me to flip out.

OMGWTFBBQ THIS IZ LIEK T3H SHIZNIT.

kthxbye  ;D

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:11 am
Sorry! couldn't wait!

well here's another go at it that makes more sense, i knew there was something off about the way he was moving the blade.
So i thought about it and it'd only make sense if he were going to swing, rather than jab -

Or if he brought the weapon to a position from which it would make sense to jab.

Tried to make the "attack' of the attack a little bit more fierce on both.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:56:41 am by Corsair »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 11:52:37 am
You got exactly what I meant! hahahah.

hmm. the hair movement on the new made me realize you make it look a little uhm...forced.

Think of the hair as something that follows the movement of the body, or rather moves with the same impulses of the body only it has a sort of lag to it....

to be concrete, in your stab the hair moves to soon.

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 09:46:18 pm

The animation for the crouch attack looks much better, but doesn't seem realistic in terms of what one would really do to attack near the ground. 
It seems like he should attack WHILE he is crouching.

What you have would work great for an "I'm already crouching and now I stab your ankles" animation